Topic: 6v Starter needs rebuilt

Buckd44    -- 04-07-2017 @ 5:50 AM
  I was having problems with my 36' turning over slower and slower each time. Finally, I traced everything back to the 6V starter, here the terminal post is separated inside the motor. The insides look aweful. Does anyone know who rebuilds these? Or, where to buy a decent referbished one?
Thanks

Jules51    -- 04-07-2017 @ 6:01 AM
  Not the same year but I had my 6-volt for a 51 rebuilt at a local automotive electric shop. No issues....

Thanks
Jules51

nelsb01    -- 04-07-2017 @ 7:09 AM
  There still are shops out there that repair them.
Suggest you check yellow pages (remember them?) under generaters / starters.

TomO    -- 04-07-2017 @ 7:19 AM
  From your description, it sounds like the armature was dragging on the field coils. If that is the case, you may need new field coils along with new bushings. The armature could also be damaged. It may be less expensive to find a good used starter.

You may be able to find a usable starter at a swap meet, the same starter was used up to 1948 and the 1949-1955 starters will fit. Have the band over the brushes removed and look for deep scores on the commutator, look for any silver colored specks of metal and check the drive end for side play. Reject any starter showing any of the above signs.

You could also post a wanted ad in the classified section of this website and another on the Ford Barn classifieds.

Tom

supereal    -- 04-14-2017 @ 1:45 PM
  C&G sells new, not rebuilt, starters, for your car as Part #3103-STN. Comes with a new style drive, about $200 (800)266-0470. Auto electric shops have about disappeared, as new replacements are often less expensive.

kubes40    -- 04-14-2017 @ 1:58 PM
  NAPA sells remanufactured starters IF you can find a counter person that is actually willing to look in a book. They have them (starters) in their warehouses.

len47merc    -- 04-14-2017 @ 2:25 PM
  Buckd44 - if in the end you are unable to locate a quality source PM me. While new ones are great there are sources locally here in NC that can and still do rebuild them and generators from the ground-up for very reasonable prices. Guess I'm too old fashioned now but I'm trying to preserve as much originality as I can including beyond my car(s).

Steve

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10663