Topic: 35 Ford Dual Headers

36fordor    -- 04-06-2017 @ 1:21 PM
  Considering dual exhausts for 35 Ford coupe. Particularly interested in any info, source, tips for dual headers. Can have exhaust pipes custom fabricated.

Thanks.

ken ct.    -- 04-06-2017 @ 2:27 PM
  Headers do very little on a stock or near stock engine. Use the stock exhaust ones and fab pipes to fit they will sound just as good. Mufflers or no mufflers. I run straight pipes on my 36 and not very loud ,keep stock size TP's 1 3/4" I think. Been running that way for a good 10 yrs and have never got stopped yet. OMO. ken ct

Grant    -- 04-07-2017 @ 5:24 AM
  Agree with Ken. Stock manifolds work fine for dual exhaust on our '36.

The driver's side pipe runs pretty close to the battery box. It is thickly covered with drag racers' header wrap to insulate the battery from heat.

If your battery is still under the floor where Henry put it, I recommend you do that.

ken ct.    -- 04-07-2017 @ 6:55 AM
  I had access to a back in the day a left side manifold which was pretty perforated hole wise but good enough for a pattern. The trick is getting the flange welded in the correct position to avoid any contact with steering box or anything else in the way of pipe. Good luck. (left side exhaust pipe from manifold to around steering box) ken ct.

wmsteed    -- 04-07-2017 @ 8:19 AM
  I would suggest that you not bother with headers on a street engine/car. There is actually no benefit to headers over stock cast iron manifolds, except for bragging rights and an empty wallet.
I prefer 2" or 2-1/8" pipes from the engine to the rear bumper. The larger pipes let the engine breath and they have a deeper tone. Of course the larger pipes have to be bent up by a professional muffler shop that knows what they are doing.
As a point of info, the engine in my '36 is a well built 59AB with all of the usual performance goodies.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

ken ct.    -- 04-07-2017 @ 8:51 AM
  The bigger the pipes the louder they are. ken ct.

Stroker    -- 04-07-2017 @ 2:25 PM
  I ran headers and Smitty's on my 38 for many years. BUT..the engine was a "modified" 276-inch 59A with a re-ground 51 Merc crank spinning 21A rods. I "needed" them.

Worst thing about headers is unless they are the cast iron Fenton's, they burn out. I agree with all the others that you DON'T NEED headers on a stock Flathead.. The most restrictive part of the exhaust are the "Siamesed" center ports. Headers "downstream" of this bottleneck won't hurt...just don't do much.

As for pipe sizes, if you like "loud", staying with smaller tailpipes will give you more "rap"...

wmsteed    -- 04-09-2017 @ 11:27 AM
  I guess I should have made mention in my earlier contribution to this topic that I have stock type chambered mufflers under my car.
The stock type mufflers and 2-1/8" pipes makes the engine sound more like a sports car, you can still hear the cam over-lap on idle, so everyone knows the engine is not stock, the annoying rap is gone.
My twice pipes use to really annoy the cops, they would stop me for "dual exhausts" but could not give me a ticket because they did not exceed the noise level. Had a cop try to give me a ticket once for having my gear shift on the left side of the column. I questioned his reasoning, he could not find a passage in the vehicle code that stated anything about the position of a gear shift. He did give me a ticket for "dual exhausts", writing those words on the ticket.
I went to court, pleaded not guilty, went before the judge, told him there was no law against "dual exhausts, just excessive noise. My point being that the new '52 Cadillac's had dual exhausts, the judge responded that I was right, his new Caddy had dual exhausts.
The gear shift lever is still on the left side of the column in my '36 Ford.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10660