Topic: 51 Ford Custom - gas leak at tank/line connection

DJ    -- 04-06-2017 @ 3:54 AM
  New member, proudly inherited my fathers 51 Ford Custom! I have a slow drip leak where the gas line connects to the tank. I attempted to tighten and the threads are stripped. Suggestions for repair? I also noticed the gas line going forward from the tank rests directly against the underbody of the car. Should I wrap that line to reduce vibration at the tank connection? Thanks in advance.

TomO    -- 04-06-2017 @ 7:18 AM
  Try a new fitting in the tank, the threads in the tank fitting may still be good. The fitting on the line is softer than the tank fitting, so cross threading just damages the line fitting.

If the tank fitting is good, just replace the line fitting by cutting off the ferrule and installing the new fitting. If the tank fitting will not accept a new fitting, try cleaning up the threads with a tap.

Tom

DJ    -- 04-06-2017 @ 7:47 PM
  Good stuff. Thank you very much. I'll be working on it this weekend!

Jules51    -- 04-07-2017 @ 4:51 AM
  Welcome aboard DJ! I too have inherited a 51 Ford Custom from my grandfather years ago. As far as the gas line, I agree with TomO. I ended up replacing the complete line. There should be sections on the line that are "insulated" originally in less it's already been replaced. I did add a couple pieces, 1/4" ID rubber hose that I added with my new line. However I still used the original steel coil insulated sections.
Hope th0is helps and good luck.

Thanks
Jules51

ken ct.    -- 04-07-2017 @ 4:55 AM
  Hope you used fuel-injector hose for your spliced in rubber sections. Reg gas hose will not hold up with this corn-gas. ken ct.

Jules51    -- 04-07-2017 @ 6:05 AM
  No, maybe I mis-stated. I used the rubber hose only as an insulator in places where I thought the line would wear against the chassic, kept the fuel lines steel......

Thanks
Jules51

DJ    -- 04-14-2017 @ 4:11 AM
  I had tightened up the connection to tank and stopped leak. Thought I was good. Filled tank, for probably the first time in at least 5 years. Started getting some rust in glass bowl by fuel pump. Took tank drain plug out, drained gas. Had some rust, but not as much as I expected. Removed fuel line at fuel pump and blew line out to tank. Went to reconnect fuel line to tank, and do have messed up threads on fitting. Went to Napa to get new fitting, but they did not have the correct size. Suggestions on where to get that? When I get fitting, I thought I'd cut off line a few inches from tank, so I would retain the flange at the end. Put new fitting, then rubber hose(fuel injector hose!, Thanks)and clamps; call it good. Rather not replace whole line at this point. One last question. It was recommended I put a fuel filter in line. Any particular location you would recommend. Have a feeling I will be replacing it frequently for a short while. Thx!

This message was edited by DJ on 4-14-17 @ 4:31 AM

ken ct.    -- 04-14-2017 @ 4:43 AM
  I have the proper fitting you need , comes with a ferrel which is used with the fitting. Tank fitting is NOT a flared type as far as I know. On a 51 you may have 5/16" gas line (not 1/4" like the older fords ) line is measured OD. Then they may be a double flared type. ken ct. Call if you want additional info. 1-203-260-9780 cell.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10658