Topic: intake manifold inspection

MICHV8    -- 04-01-2017 @ 6:00 AM
  Seems I have at least 1 stuck valve (59AB) and thought I would remove the intake manifold for inspection. Any advice on what other items could be done with the manifold removed? Any favorites for a replacement gasket or are they all similar?
Thanks

ken ct.    -- 04-01-2017 @ 6:58 AM
  Use a lite tan one from fel-pro , do NOT use a black one from Mac's took me 3 days of scr*ping to get one of theirs off the manifold and block. Pure junk. ken ct.

cliftford    -- 04-01-2017 @ 3:29 PM
  Depending on which valve it is sometimes you can spot an open valve through a spark plug hole.If you find this, spray some lubricant in the hole and try tapping the open valve gently with a small brass drift punch with that cylinder in firing position.

37 Coupe    -- 04-01-2017 @ 5:46 PM
  Drizzle some Marvel Mystery oil down the carburetor while engine is running.I had this same problem and this is the best way to free it up without making yourself some work removing intake. When you think you have made enough smoke pouring it in the engine take her down the road and chances are it will smooth right out.

Drbrown    -- 04-01-2017 @ 6:12 PM
  I 2x 37 coupe's recommendation. If you haven't, try a few external treatments before investing in removal of the manifold. I had a noisy-sticky valve and MMO relieved it after the down-the-carb treatment and a tank full of gas-MMO driving. Perhaps there is a mixture of Auto-tranny fluid that could also help.

supereal    -- 04-02-2017 @ 3:08 PM
  Using a lube, either down the cylinder or in the full is, more often than not, a temporary solution to a sticky valve. Valves stick when the stems become coated with burned oil or unburned fuel, and/or the springs get weak or broken. Before the days of detergent oil, we used to do lots of "valve jobs" at the Ford dealer where I worked. The valve chambers would get swamped with sludge to the point where the valves would stop sealing. The only effective "fix" is to remove the intake manifold and heads, then the valve and guide assemblies, to clean them up and reface the valves. The valve seats should either be refaced or replaced, depending upon how many times it has been done. You will be surprised of the gain in performance and reliability.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10643