Topic: 37 instrument light switch knob replacement

1937sedandelivery    -- 03-30-2017 @ 7:48 PM
  Hello,
I want to replace the knob on my 37 Tudor instrument panel light switch. It doesn't appear to screw off, must be a press fit of sorts? I tried pretty hard to pull the knob off with no luck.
Any advice/tips would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Gregg

40 Coupe    -- 03-31-2017 @ 5:24 AM
  You can carefully grind the plastic away and drill the new knob so it slides over the shaft and then glue the knob in the proper position. I would avoid putting stress on the switch or it's shaft, the part that moves the contacts, inside the switch body, is only rigid cardboard lightly attached to the end of the shaft. It is best to do this with the switch out of the dash, but if that is not possible use much caution.

This message was edited by 40 Coupe on 3-31-17 @ 5:26 AM

1937sedandelivery    -- 03-31-2017 @ 8:36 AM
  Thanks, I will give it a whack!

1937sedandelivery    -- 03-31-2017 @ 3:54 PM
  Thanks, I will give it a whack!

3w2    -- 04-01-2017 @ 8:55 AM
  Since presumably you aren't trying to save the old knob, pull the switch from the dash and with the knob out as far as it will go, just put the knob in a vise and voila, with a couple of turns of the vise handle the old knob is history and you won't harm the switch. That's a lot quicker and less messy than grinding the knob off.

1937sedandelivery    -- 04-01-2017 @ 6:42 PM
  That sounds simple. I haven't got to it yet, so will give the vise a try.
Thanks guys.
gregg

1937sedandelivery    -- 04-06-2017 @ 9:14 AM
  Hello,
I put the knob in a vise and it crunched and deformed as opposed to cracking. From there it was easy to snip away at it until the pieces fell off. Then took the entire thing apart and cleaned it up. The internal contacting mechanism leaves a bit to be desired, not a lot of positive retention to hold the contacts together when the switch is closed (pushed all the way in). In any case, it is all cleaned up and some parts primered to prevent rusting. Attached is a picture prior to installing the new knob. BTW, to install the knob I heated up the switch shaft and the knob easily glides on. Take care to not slide it on too far (like I did), if you do the switch will be always open since the shaft is fully pulled out and can't be pushed in.
Thanks guys.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10641