Topic: 6 blade fan

runningon8    -- 03-30-2017 @ 5:48 PM
  I read in a previous issue of the magazine that you can use a 6 blade Ford tractor fan to replace the 4 blade on a 1936 v8 engine. I can't remember which supplier has them or what year or model the tractor was.
Did anyone on here happen to see it? I no longer have my past issues of the magazine.

alanwoodieman    -- 03-30-2017 @ 6:25 PM
  Dennis Carpenter re produces them , at least he did

Drbrown    -- 03-30-2017 @ 8:44 PM
  I don't know why you're going to a 6-blade fan but offer my experience, which may not be typical .... a 6-blade fan was installed on my '47 with 59AB engine. It is/was very noisy. I suspect a previous owner thought the 6-blade would help solve an over-heating problem. Later a new radiator was installed. I removed the noisy fan, installed a 16 inch 16 amp electric fan and now all is well and much quieter.

This message was edited by Drbrown on 3-30-17 @ 8:49 PM

Bob-93021    -- 03-30-2017 @ 9:39 PM
  I saw that article in the V8 times and thought it was a great idea. As noted above Carpenter has/had them. Maybe others do. Dr commented on the noise issue and I want to make note of another issue if you pursue a tractor fan. These 6 blade fans were pusher and puller on tractors. Depending on application. Maybe to blow dust forward rather than back??
I have a 8N tractor (love the thing) and it has a pusher fan. See pix - Bob

ken ct.    -- 03-30-2017 @ 9:44 PM
  Accually they are optional truck fan used in those yrs. Their around. I have 1 on my 36 for yrs (coupe) the snout has to match the one on the 1 you have. Some are shorter or longer. It moves the fan closer or further away from the radiator. ken ct.Their supposed to be louder than a 4 blade. My wife says I'm deaf anyway sooo.

Stroker    -- 03-31-2017 @ 6:20 AM
  Like Ken, we had one on our 38 wagon for about 25 years. It finally lost a blade which punched through the inner fender panel.

The resulting out-of-balance condition then sheared the generator mounting rails off the aluminum intake in a matter of seconds.

I replaced it with a 4-bladed fan... I WILL say, that a 6-bladed fan helps in traffic, not much gained at highway speeds except more "howl".

JM    -- 03-31-2017 @ 9:20 AM
  The six blade, generator pully mount fans that I have were used on Ford trucks as Ken said. Didn't know that Ford tractors used them as well. The truck versions definitely pull more air, and probably make more noise, but if you're nearly deaf like me, that's not a big factor. What does worry me is the additional blades causing more centrifugal load/force on the generator bearing(s), and the possibility of additional vibration causing failures.
I had a six blade fan on my 35 fordor when I initally had a cooling problem at sustained speeds of 45-55 mph. Since the six blade fan did not seem to help in my situation, off it came. Cleaning/flushing the cooling system, fine tuning the timing, higher flow water pumps, and an overflow check valve were the answer to better cooling for me. Also, as Ken mentioned, there are different hub lengths to consider if you are looking for a six blade fan for a specific application. I have six blade fans with at least four different hub lengths.

John

Stroker    -- 03-31-2017 @ 11:49 AM
  JM: I totally agree with the lack of "need" for a 6-blade fan on anything except a loaded truck grinding-through the gears at "walking speeds". We used to pull a big wooden 2-horse trailer with our 38 in the mountains, so the fan did help on those long, uphill grades.

As you have mentioned, the distance between the fan and the radiator core is critical, as none of those Fords with generator-mounted fans had a fan shroud to "funnel air" into the blades.

One thing often overlooked; is the absence of the origina "splash pans" that help direct the under-hood airflow to the inner-fender panel "exhaust vents" on 35-38's, and out the side hood louvers on earlier cars.

Those "splash pans" often got eliminated the first time anyone replaced the motor. They are the "lower part of" the engine compartment air-flow design; but often "dismissed" as being unimportant.

flatheadfan    -- 03-31-2017 @ 5:57 PM
  I also agree about usage of six blade fans especially at moderate and high speeds. They give new meaning to the term "noisy." I put one on my '35 and went for a five mile ride. The fan became history after I returned home.

"Splash pans" are truly misnamed. They are really "air restricting pans." The fan's job is to pull air through the radiator thereby cooling the coolant in the radiator. If the "splash pans" are removed the fan gets lazy and pulls the air up from below and NOT through the radiator. Bingo! Heating problems at low speeds.

Tom

runningon8    -- 04-01-2017 @ 6:23 AM
  My 36 runs a little on the warm end in slow traffic. The radiator was cleaned and roded when it was restored several years ago. It has never boiled over nor gauge has not ran in the hot range but it gets to the high end of normal instead of the middle area. What do the "air restricting pans" look like. I see on the right side there is a metal shield over the exhaust. If i need these do you happen to know which parts guy has them? I think the 6 blade fan is a no go due to noise so I may go with an electric fan. If that's the case who has one that fits my 36?
Thanks

Drbrown    -- 04-01-2017 @ 6:48 PM
  runningon8: Following up my PM, recommend spending time cruising the internet for fans. Check their reviews (with a grain-of-salt). You'll find various sizes and cubic-feet-per-minute (cfm) ratings and debates about straight blade vs. more quiet curved blade designs. Call the manufacturer if questions or data is lacking.

My 16 inch 16 amp curved blade 1400 cfm fan does a fine job for my 59 AB , no splash pans or shroud.

If you haven't, recommend installing a second temp gauge. To keep my stock dash gauge functional "looking" I kept the stock single elec terminal sensor on the passenger side (good only for showing estimated temp) and added an aftermarket on driver's side. Dan

This message was edited by Drbrown on 4-1-17 @ 6:51 PM

flatheadfan    -- 04-01-2017 @ 11:56 PM
  Runningon 8

There are two pans you may be missing. One that attaches to the left frame rail that the steering gear fits through and a pan that fits between the radiator and the front cross member. Enclosed is a picture of the front pan on my '36. This is an early production car. The later '36 pans are somewhat larger.

As for an electric fan, it should work great but, it may be difficult to locate a 6 volt fan. Most fans are 12 volt. If you do locate a 6 volt fan you will probably need a higher output generator/alternator to keep everything going.

Hope this helps.

Tom

TomO    -- 04-03-2017 @ 8:29 AM
  Runningon8,

As long as your engine is not overheating, I would stay with the stock fan. Making changes to a stock car usually results in unintended consequences.

Tom

carcrazy    -- 04-03-2017 @ 12:54 PM
  You can obtain a 6 volt cooling fan from Fifth Avenue Antique Auto Parts. The fan is listed on Their website page:

http://www.fifthaveinternetgarage.com/cooling_parts.php

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10640