Topic: Fuel guage

silverchief    -- 03-23-2017 @ 9:26 AM
  The fuel gauge in my 46 is erratic. Works - but is jumpy.... and when full, reads way above full with key on, and stops just above empty when shut off. I have new wiring harness, and new unit in the tank that is well grounded. I have definitely decided to pull the gauge. I recall it is operated by a very fine wire. Not sure I can even access it. Any suggestions before I get started.

supereal    -- 03-23-2017 @ 10:47 AM
  Remove the wire from the sender and turn on the ignition. If the needle goes up, there is a short in the wire between the gauge and the tank. If the needle falls back, the sender is the problem. The more fuel in the tank, the higher the ground to the gauge. Remove the sender from the tank and operate the float arm as you watch the gauge. Don't expect rapid movement of the gauge, as the needle is moved by a bimetal strip. There are two types of sender, the original King-Seeley and the common replacement, a variable resistor with the "wiper" operated by the float arm. The original type has an internal heating coil that operates a bimetal arm to pulse the ground to the gauge to reduce fluctuations as the fuel sloshes in the tank. Some of these had a condenser connected to the terminal which can form a permanent ground and should be removed. The replacement type depends on the position of the wiper on the resistor element. The float are must move freely and not contact any baffle in the tank. This type is usually not as accurate as the K-S

silverchief    -- 03-24-2017 @ 7:15 AM
  Thanks Bob,

Very helpful information...... as usual.

Drbrown    -- 03-24-2017 @ 8:56 PM
  Its rare that the gauge fails; more often the sender unit especially if an after-market. Did you discard the original sender ? Check voltage to gauge - if high may be raising your reading. "Jumpy" neddle may indicate a loose connection. Removing gauges very difficult given space and complexity of wiring etc back there.

Side note to Supereal's recommendations .... use a gasoline-resistant sealant with a fresh gasket when installing the sender unit on the tank.

I second Supereal's indication that the original S-K equipment is superior to after-market. After removing the original gas-saturated cork float and installing a new brass float bulb, my 70 year old K-S sender works accurately.

This message was edited by Drbrown on 3-24-17 @ 9:12 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10625