Topic: Wheel/rim

46coupe    -- 03-22-2017 @ 4:26 PM
  Hi everyone, Does anyone know where I can order a new or used 16 inch wheel? I have one that is apparently bent and causes quite a shimmy at 60mph. I've checked Dennis C, Macs and Drakes and they don't sell any wheels. Goes on my 46.
Thanks in advance for the help.
If someone has a good true wheel to sell, I'd appreciate it as I will be having it powdered coated to match the other 3.

trjford8    -- 03-22-2017 @ 4:35 PM
  Check with a company called Wheelsmith in Los Angeles. They should be able to build you a new wheel. Your wheel should be a 16X4.

TomO    -- 03-23-2017 @ 7:31 AM
  Enable private messages in your profile, so if someone can contact you if they can help.

Are you sure that your wheel is bent enough to cause the shimmy? What type of tire are you using, bias ply, belted bias ply or radial? Have you tried a different tire on the rim?

Tom

46coupe    -- 03-24-2017 @ 2:22 AM
  Hi Tom
Have not tried a different tire. I'll pull a wheel off to read the sidewall ( which faces inside with all the tire info). The whitewall faces out and has no info. I'll post what I find and also enable the PM.

46coupe    -- 03-24-2017 @ 7:31 AM
  Well the spare is 16 in. The 4 on the ground are on 15 in rims. Tire size is P225XR15. So they are radials that look very new. Tires are made: 1 ply nylon, 2ply steel belts and 2 ply polyester belts. The car was trailered to shows which would explain the little use the tires have. I don't think a belt has "slipped" as happened years ago when belted tires first came out on the market. I had the wheel spun on the wheel balancing machine with the tech and the rim showed a wobble. Can I assume any Ford 15 in rim will fit? Axle hole is 3 1/2 D and hole spacing is 3 1/4 ctr. to ctr. for the 5 holes. Is there anything else I should measure or check prior to buying? Thanks again for your help.
PM is enabled.
Brad

Ihateoldcars    -- 03-24-2017 @ 1:19 PM
  I'm a little bit of a wheel hoarder so I'll weigh in on this subject. Ford used a 5 on 5 1/2" inch bolt pattern thru '35 then used the wide 5 pattern from '36 thru '39. In '40 they went back to the 5 on 5 1/2" inch pattern which was used on cars thru '48 and pickups, for our purposes, thru '66. ( I say that because after '66 the wheels will not accept Early Ford hubcaps, the nubs are on the outside rather than inside.) '40s used a 16" X 4" wheel, '41s used a slightly different 4" and '42s thru '48s used a 4 1/2" wheel. '49 and later cars used a 15", 5 on 4 1/2" pattern. Pickups used 16" thru '55, then went to 15" (tubeless) in '56. (16" were still available as an option thru '60.) The 15" wheels were 5" inches wide until around '61 then went to 5 1/2" wide. So, if you have 15" wheels and they accept the stock hubcaps they are from a pickup. There are tons of these wheels around. You shouldn't have any trouble rounding up some to try. I would not buy aftermarket wheels, often the hub caps won't fit. There's a lot more to this subject. Disclaimer: I have not covered every possible detail in this limited space. Hope this helps.

46coupe    -- 03-26-2017 @ 1:32 PM
  Thanks for all the great info. The rims are from a pickup, at least that is what I was told. I'll start looking for some locally. I'll also take a hubcap with me to make sure it works.

bigvince    -- 03-30-2017 @ 12:06 PM
  Have a set of five 4.5 x 16. Cleaned and primed. Excellent condition with all Ford K-H markings visable. muni35@aol.com

wmsteed    -- 03-31-2017 @ 10:12 AM
  If I am understanding the dialog correctly in the original posting to this topic, the problem is a "shimmy" from a wheel that was assumed to be bent. A later comment by 46 coupe stated that the tires were several years old, but looked new.
I think the actual problem is that the tires are out of round from sitting in one position to long.
I had the same problem with my '39 conv, a resto-mod with 15" P series radials. The car is driven on a regular basis, however, sometimes the cars sits in the garage for weeks with out turning a wheel. In time I started to sense a vibration when the car was reaching highway speeds (55 +). I assumed it was a balance problem, a trip to the tire store revealed that the majority of the tires were egg shaped.
Upon close examination it was discovered that the side walls of the tires were showing signs of radial cracks at the belt line.
As a point of info, the tires were expensive Dunlop's that were almost nine years old. A new set of tires solved the problem.
If 46coupe needs a replacement wheel I have at least a half dozen 15" pickup wheels that are just sitting in my wheel stack.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

46coupe    -- 04-01-2017 @ 3:25 AM
  Thanks for the info Bill. All 4 tires sat for 6 months while the car was being worked on. After the initial test drive, I jacked the car up and spun the tires which showed no sign of out of round. I did notice that one looked like it wobbled a little. I took that one to a garage and had it checked on a machine which showed the rim was not true. The tire and rim were balanced and this did help the problem on the next test drive. I can now drive 60 mph with just a very slight shimmy.
However I am still considering replacing the wheel. Please PM me regarding the rims you have available.

Thanks again

46coupe    -- 04-25-2017 @ 7:46 AM
  To Big Vince. If your 5- 16 in rims are still available, please PM me. I'm thinking about going back to original size.
Thanks

This message was edited by 46coupe on 4-25-17 @ 8:03 AM

fordy8ford    -- 04-29-2017 @ 8:16 AM
  BigVince, I was just wondering if the set of wheels is still available? If they are I might be very interested.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10620