Topic: 51 Ford - Tune up tools

Jules51    -- 03-22-2017 @ 5:01 AM
  Guys, back in the early 70's I bought my 1st set of tune-up tools from the famous JC Witney. I'm looking for a new set, does any have recommendations for a good set of tools?

Thanks
Jules51

deluxe40    -- 03-22-2017 @ 11:17 AM
  By "tune-up" tools I'm not sure if you mean compression tester, vacuum gauge, etc. or just ordinary hand tools like ratchets and screwdrivers. In any case I use a combination of Harbor Freight, Craftsman and Snap-On. They are all on line and represent three different price ranges. You might want to visit your local Sears/OSH store (or equivalent) or an automotive swap meet and hold a few things in your hand to feel the weight and quality before you buy a whole set.

cliftford    -- 03-22-2017 @ 12:00 PM
  I would also check ebay and amazon, you can get some good buys there a lot of the time

Jules51    -- 03-22-2017 @ 6:30 PM
  Deluxe40, sorry I was referring to ignition tune up tools. My 51 is still a 6-volt; positive ground.

Thanks
Jules51

BUCKAWHO    -- 03-22-2017 @ 9:46 PM
  Hi....I've also got a '51. Sixty years ago I had a '50. All these years Craftsman tools have worked fine for me, from timing lights, dwell meters, feeler gauges, and hand tools, to todays helpful advice from V8 members. The club publications are invaluable, too. It's a learning process, and for me, a re-learning process. Fun too! BT

cliftford    -- 03-23-2017 @ 5:14 AM
  I might add that motors, chilton, and other manuals from that era are a big help and are fairly easy to find at swap meets,flea markets, etc.

supereal    -- 03-25-2017 @ 1:03 PM
  Most tools for tuneup haven't changed much, the exception being a timing light. If you find any, they are usually designed for 12 volts. They can be used by simply having a 12 volt battery nearby if you are working on a 6 volt vehicle. My ancient timing light still comes in handy at our shop, both to set timing and to observe the action of the advance.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10616