Topic: 51 Ford; coolant leakage

Jules51    -- 03-19-2017 @ 6:20 PM
  Still on s/u of my 51 Ford. I'm have very small leakage coming from the cylinder head bolts that supports the oil canister. Leakage is from the top 2 bolts, pic attached; canister is mounted on cylinder head above #7&8 plugs. I do not have anything between mounting bracket and cylinder head. Bolts are torqued at 60lbs. Thinking about making a gasket and placed between bracket and head. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Jules51

flathead4rd    -- 03-20-2017 @ 6:35 AM
  The bolts that hold the oil canister to the head do not access any water passages. I don't see how there could be a coolant leak there. It looks like you might have an oil leak at the brass fitting on the bottom of the canister. Sixty (60) pounds of torque is OK for head bolts but way too much for the canister attaching bolts. If you do indeed have a leaking head bolt, take it out and coat the threads with Permatex gasket sealer. Also, I would put hardened steel washers under the head bolts.

Jules51    -- 03-20-2017 @ 6:29 PM
  In response, it is coolant, coming from the cylinder head. I'm not an expert but it's my understanding that the head is cooled with coolant, don't forget that the thermostats are on the cylinder head. I like the idea about Permatex and will take this route, I'm not looking forward to draining the system low enough to prevent a excessive coolant coming out.
Thanks Flathead4rd for the feedback.........

Thanks
Jules51

40cpe    -- 03-21-2017 @ 7:17 AM
  I think I would lift the canister enough to verify the origin. The canister mounting holes are blind holes that shouldn't enter the water jacket. If there is water coming from the hole, I would look really hard for a cracked head.

TomO    -- 03-21-2017 @ 7:27 AM
  The bolts that hold the filter to the heads are 3/4" long and should not enter the cooling passages. Permatex may not seal the leak.

I believe that steel washers under the bolts would result in a point deduction on the Concourse, as they were not installed from the factory.

Tom

deluxe40    -- 03-21-2017 @ 11:05 AM
  Looking at Jules51's picture and note I am wondering if his car has the early 8BA cylinder heads on which the oil filter does mount under the head bolts. If so, he might have coolant leaking from the head bolts. If the leak is minor, I might run the engine up to normal temperature a couple of times and then re-torque the head bolts. Here is a picture of a later engine with separate bolts for the filter:

This message was edited by deluxe40 on 3-21-17 @ 11:07 AM

Jules51    -- 03-22-2017 @ 4:58 AM
  Guys, thanks for the responses. Yes, deluxe40 is correct. My cylinder head is a 8BA and right again, after driving it a couple times to get the engine temp and letting it sit overnight I torqued the cylinder head bolts specs and this solved the problem.

Thanks
Jules51

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10609