Topic: 51 Ford S/U: Not Firing-Electrical Issues

Jules51    -- 03-18-2017 @ 9:15 PM
  Trying to s/u up a rebuilt 51 flathead: here's what I know: 6 volt positive ground
1)confirmed distributor & spark plug wiring is correct
2)**PLEASE confirm that the distributor wire goes to the positive post on coil and ignition wire goes to negative post.
3)Voltage regulator was polarized
4)swapped out coil to, still not firing
5)no issues with fuel pump, getting fuel to carb.
6)new battery, 765 ca
All components are new or rebuilt; generator, starter, distributor, solenoids, fuel pump, carburetor, etc...
I'm learning as I go so any help will be appreciated

Thanks
Jules51

40cpe    -- 03-19-2017 @ 3:24 PM
  Your wiring is correct. Was the distributor installed at # 1 firing position when #1 was at top center? You have verified voltage to the coil? Your rotor button is inside the cap? If so, remove the distributor cap. Rotate engine until the points are closed. Use a small piece of insulated material (plastic, etc) to open points. You should see a small spark. If you see a spark, the coil and distributor should be working. There are other methods, but his will let us know if there is a firing problem in the distributor.

This message was edited by 40cpe on 3-19-17 @ 3:26 PM

Jules51    -- 03-19-2017 @ 6:07 PM
  Thanks for your response 40cps.
1st: I did not check the position of #1 when installing the distributor, thanks. Don't laugh but how do I check this?
2nd: No I have not verified voltage, please guide me with this also.
3rd: Rotor bottom is in cap.
4th: No problem with checking the points, that I can do.

Today, I did verify that I'm firing, took feed from distributor to coil and verify a strong blue spark, also took cap off and verified that the points are firing. I have not verified the gap; distributor is a rebuilt from vendor who did the engine.

Thanks
Jules51

TomO    -- 03-20-2017 @ 7:10 AM
  To install the distributor, remove the front spark plug from the passenger side of the engine (no 1 cylinder) and crank the engine in short bursts until you can feel the compression stroke on the no 1 cylinder. Then crank the engine by hand until the pointer on the timing gear cover points to TDC mark on the crank pulley.

The rotor should now be pointing toward the no 1 cylinder wire in the distributor cap. If it is not, remove the distributor and rotate the shaft to line it up. Use a timing light to set the final timing when the engine is running.

Tom

Jules51    -- 03-20-2017 @ 6:42 PM
  Thanks TomO, followed your suggestions and was successful in getting the 51 running and drove it around the neighborhood. The last time I drove the 51 was 1987! Many to EFV-8, Chris at Shoebox Central, Ken at Early Ford Sales and Mac at VanPelts Sales.
Still a lot of work yet to be done so I'm not through asking questions.

Thanks
Jules51

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10606