Topic: Correct Assembly of Radiator Fasteners?

39Fordfan    -- 03-18-2017 @ 1:20 PM
  Please forgive my "Stupid question" here. This was my Dad's car from the time it was new. As my Dad used to say, "It's better to ask a stupid question now, than to make a stupid mistake later!"

At long last I got my re-cored '39 Deluxe radiator back. I was able to slip it back in without too much of a fight. But when I grabbed the bolt assembly for the lower radiator brackets I blanked out as to where the springs should go in the assembly? I'm not sure it was ever correct.

Are the springs supposed to support the weight of the radiator? Or do the radiator brackets simply rest on top of the cross frame?

I've included a drawing of the radiator bracket, bolt and spring. I had a good long look in the '39 Ford book and could not see an answer there.

Thanks!

MG    -- 03-18-2017 @ 1:34 PM
  See this link: > http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/FH_images/FH_rad-grill-pics/Flathead_radtr39car.jpg

39Fordfan    -- 03-18-2017 @ 2:14 PM
  Thanks MG!

So the springs do actually support the weight of the radiator according to your diagram.

Do you know what part #8125 is? That wasn't part of my assembly.

This message was edited by 39Fordfan on 3-18-17 @ 2:37 PM

supereal    -- 03-18-2017 @ 2:48 PM
  There should be a rubber pad under each leg of the radiator frame, then the bolt goes thru the spring and down thru the frame hole where the nut is secured to the bolt. The pads prevent metal to metal contact and absorb some of the vibration, while the springs allow the frame to twist and not break the radiator frame and core.

MG    -- 03-18-2017 @ 4:38 PM
  Part #8125 = Radiator To Frame Pad - Ford

See this link: > http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_mercury_early/radiator-to-frame-pad-ford.html

kubes40    -- 03-19-2017 @ 6:29 AM
  Actually, the bolt goes UP through the frame, then a rubber pad, then the radiator support, then the spring and finally the slotted nut.
A cotter pin keeps the slotted nut from rotating.
Many guys install all of this "backward" as it is easier to do. However, if you want to install it as Ford did originally, you'll need to follow my advice.
One must understand the radiator was installed (originally) prior to the front sheet metal. Thus, originally at least, it was actually easier to install from the bottom - upwards.

The link to VanPelts website that MG had posted is nothing more than a copy of an illustration from the Ford parts book. This is after all an illustration and was not intended to show the accurate installation method.
Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 3-19-17 @ 6:32 AM

39Fordfan    -- 03-19-2017 @ 4:38 PM
  Thank-you so much, guys! I didn't want to fill up the radiator and cooling system only to find I'd done it wrong and had to drain it again.

I'll wait until I get the rubber pads. I have had an un-findable squeak from time to time. It's possibly been coming from here.

I'll try and install the bolts from the bottom up, Mike. Even with help it might be a bit of a challenge. Any tips on how to make it easier? Maybe a longer bolt, heehee...

kubes40    -- 03-19-2017 @ 5:11 PM
  Well, two people make it a lot easier. One to hold the bolt up and keep it from spinning while the second guy installs the spring, etc.
I can still do this myself (long arms) but with each passing year, it seems they are getting shorter

TomO    -- 03-20-2017 @ 7:21 AM
  I am not as flexible as Mike so I use a bottle jack and a piece of wood (2x2) to hold the bolt and radiator pan in place while I install the spring and nut on the bolt. I place the wood on the head of the bolt and use just enough pressure on the jack to hold the parts in place.

Tom

39Fordfan    -- 03-20-2017 @ 12:57 PM
  Good to know! Thanks Mike and TomO!

With a great deal of effort, I had enough of a wingspan and flexibility to reach around and get the nut on, but with the spring in the wrong place. So I may have to bring a jack and try your method TomO, or get a friend on the case. Either way, I am almost there now.

Thanks again!

kubes40    -- 03-20-2017 @ 5:41 PM
  TomO,
Thanks for the chuckle. Rest assured, I will be forced (as my only option) to use your method soon enough

Mike

supereal    -- 03-23-2017 @ 11:24 AM
  I defer to my friend Mike (Kube) regarding the direction of the bolt. It proves the contention of some of my critics who claim I don't know up from down!

TomO    -- 03-24-2017 @ 7:10 AM
  Bob, up is what you do in the morning on a good day and down is what you do at night. I hope this helps.

Tom

42oink    -- 03-24-2017 @ 12:25 PM
  Here's a thought! If you know a kid (under 50?) that you can get off his phone for a minute, get him (or her) to help. It just may spark an interest and friendship that will keep this love of old cars going. Sometimes I think we are "that old guy" that has the neat car, but that's as far as it goes. Let's get em involved. I have four prewar cars and two motorcycles that I have no idea who will get them. (NO, I'm not looking for volunteers!) Think about it. 42oink

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10603