Topic: 1940 convertible top wood

Tlrush    -- 03-16-2017 @ 4:02 PM
  I'm new to the forum, and am hopeing for some help.
I have a '40 convertible with the wood missing that goes around the area where the top is attached. I'm looking for the specs. for this "tac strip".
My research skills are lacking, as I have had no luck in finding out how the top goes together(parts drawing etc.)
Thanks in advance,
Terry Rush

kubes40    -- 03-16-2017 @ 4:59 PM
  Where exactly are you referring to? The front? The back? Just forward of the "B" pillars?

MICHV8    -- 03-17-2017 @ 9:10 AM
  The guy (Kubes40) that answered your post probably has more knowledge asleep than the rest of us wide awake, so I would post a photo of your problem area and I'm sure Mike will steer you down the right road (how poetic of me!)

This message was edited by MICHV8 on 3-17-17 @ 9:11 AM

supereal    -- 03-18-2017 @ 3:03 PM
  There are two wooden parts, on the header above the windshield, and the rear bow that folds as the top is raised or lowered. The tack strip is around the rear opening for the top, and is used to hold the tacks or staples that secure the top to the car body. It is a plastic material now, instead of wood strips, and is sold in different widths and thicknesses. We buy it from LeBaron Bonney. Their order number is 1-800-221-5408. They will know the type you need for your '40. Installing a convertible top properly is an art, and I recall L-B has some instructions with their tops. When in doubt, it is recommended that a professional do the work.

kubes40    -- 03-19-2017 @ 9:07 AM
  Super, On a '40 at least, there are wood blocks directly behind and above the door opening.

supereal    -- 03-25-2017 @ 1:28 PM
  Thanks, Mike. It has been a very long time since I worked on a '40. There is a good illustration of the 1940 convertible top on page 135 of the 1939-48 Canadian shop manual. It is a treasure trove of information that is essential to both the newcomer to the hobby, and us old coots who have to kickstart the ol' memory box. C&G still shows it in their catalog as V-222,475 pages for about $60. Their order number is (800) 266-0470. When I was a kid working at the local Ford place, there was no such manual in the U.S. Ford relied on "service bulletins" to address various components. If you were lucky, the "old hands" would share need to know how to fix Fords, and the tricks of the trade.

kubes40    -- 03-25-2017 @ 3:13 PM
  Bob, Does you 47 have those wood pieces near the B pillar? I know the top assembly changed quite a bit by them vs. 1940. From what I have heard, the '40 is a bunch easier to restore and get operating correctly. Any truth to that?

supereal    -- 03-27-2017 @ 1:40 PM
  Hi Mike! No wood blocks on my '47. I did have to replace the header, which required considerable fitting. The cylinders for the top were corroded, and were replaced, as was the plumbing. I didn't find a replacement for the pump, so used one from Hydro-E-Lectric. It worked, but was very slow. That I fixed with a control made in our shop. As you know, I am not not a restorer of your class, but as a driver, the car is lots of fun. It is hard to believe I have had it for over 25 years! The '40 top was the only year that used vacuum cylinders. In my opinion, no convertible is an easy project. Regards, Bob

This message was edited by supereal on 3-27-17 @ 1:42 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10597