Topic: 1951 Ford Project-Update

Jules51    -- 03-15-2017 @ 6:41 AM
  Engine installed; had to remove the OD solenoid to complete the install. Got the solenoid on, challenge was getting the top bolt in and tighten (somewhat). The solenoid flange has 2 ears and mounts vertically on the side of the trans. There's hardly no room to perform this task. However, I'm now challenged with connecting the manual OD cable. It has a support bracket about 6-8" from the end. It appears to connect to the bolt at the top of the solenoid flange, the bolt that I had difficulty with. Any suggestions? Am I correct with this assumption?
I'm thinking of taking an old 1/2" box wrench and grinding it so reduce the thickness in hopes that it will slip onto the bolt head. (it's been 1-1/2 years since I started this project and forgot how this was connected)
I've attempted to attached a photo, hopefully it worked.

Thanks
Jules51

This message was edited by Jules51 on 3-15-17 @ 6:42 AM

ken ct.    -- 03-15-2017 @ 8:16 AM
  How would you get the box end wrench off the nut after with the cable on there. Maybe an open end one would insure removel of wrench. How about using a crow-foot one?? ken ct.

Jules51    -- 03-15-2017 @ 10:29 AM
  Look at the pic again; the bolt I'm referencing is just like the lower one with the tooth washer on the solenoid. The cable is blocking most of the view. The clip has an offset bolt hole which is visible. If anyone has installed a 51 flathead with OD, they must have had this issue. Hopefully this may clarify my dilemma. Of course I'm assuming that the clip is bolted to the solenoid housing.
Still looking for help.

Thanks
Jules51

len47merc    -- 03-15-2017 @ 11:13 AM
  Is there room to get an thin-profile open-end crowfoot wrench with a short 3/8" extension and ratchet on it, 1/6 turn at a time? Just a thought - though not ever having to address your specific issue personally I've at times been able to make crowfoot wrenches work in tight spaces like this, every 1/6 or less (if less, necessarily flipping the wrench over to accomplish each 1/6 turn) painstaking turn at a time.

Steve

deluxe40    -- 03-15-2017 @ 7:53 PM
  I believe that clamp goes under the top rear corner bolt of the transmission cover, not the solenoid bolt. The bolt is above and behind the top solenoid bolt, about 1/2" down from the corner of the cover.

BUCKAWHO    -- 03-16-2017 @ 1:35 PM
  Hello....I agree with Deluxe40. On my 1951 club coupe, the bracket is mounted at the upper rear transmission sideplate bolt, just as he said. BT

Jules51    -- 03-18-2017 @ 6:56 PM
  Thanks for the input, got it connected to the top bolt of the solenoid. This keeps the cable level with the manual OD lever, no binding.

Thanks
Jules51

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10591