Topic: New chrome peeling

jfarrell    -- 03-04-2017 @ 11:15 AM
  Anyone having trouble with fresh chrome peeling? We recently had 5 pieces including a bumper rechromed. Two of the five pieces peeled after we got them back. We used blue tape in masking the parts so we could paint the underside. One peeled a 1/2 inch by 2 inch piece from the edge when we took the tape off. The bumper peeled around one of the mounting holes after we installed the bumper.

Has the chroming process changed or does our experience just indicate there are problems with the chromer we used?

kubes40    -- 03-04-2017 @ 11:25 AM
  From your description it is clear the plater did not prepare the metal properly.

woodiewagon46    -- 03-04-2017 @ 1:02 PM
  Was it triple plated, meaning copper, nickel and then chrome. I have heard and seen chrome on steel issues but never triple plated parts peeling.

jfarrell    -- 03-04-2017 @ 3:12 PM
  It was suppose to be triple plated. In the part that peeled off I can see copper, so I think it was in fact triple plated.

How did the chromer prepare the metal wrong? Is there anything I can do to make sure it is unlikely to happen again? Jim Farrell

kubes40    -- 03-05-2017 @ 5:59 AM
  To be certain it does not happen again go to a different plater.
He should stand behind this without question and make it right.

TomO    -- 03-05-2017 @ 8:49 AM
  If it was a local plater, take it back and have him redo it. If it was mail order, you will have to balance the shipping costs with your confidence level in the plater. The peeling could be caused by incorrect cleaning between steps or old chemicals.

What part of the country do you live in? Maybe someone on the Forum can recommend a plater near you.

Tom

jfarrell    -- 03-05-2017 @ 9:27 AM
  I live in southern Oregon, Roseburg to be exact. The plater in Medford (90 miles south) is now out of business. The plater in Eugene (70 miles north) can't sell his business and is retiring -- not taking new business. Last Friday I discovered the first problem. That piece was a bumper guard. I called the plater and he agreed to rechrome the part at no cost to me. The plater I used is in Salem (150 miles north) and has been reliable in the past. Saturday I installed the rechromed bumper. It peeled around one of the mounting holes during the installation process. So on Monday morning I get to call the call the plater again. As I understand it, the bumper went to California for replating because the plater in Salem didn't have big enough tanks. I've never had a rechomed part peel before and prior to Monday morning's call I thought I'd better try to figure out what is going on. The bill for replating 5 parts was in excess of $900, so I'm reluctant to go elsewhere -- this time. Jim Farrell

wmsteed    -- 03-06-2017 @ 9:00 AM
  The EPA requirements have raised holly cane with the plating industry. The cost and requirements for the required chemicals is almost off of the charts. One of the main chemicals required for good plating is cyanide. I understand that it very common now for the plating shops to do only the prep works, grinding etc., then they send the parts to Mexico, etc., to have them plated.
The last I heard, a cyanide permit in LA County cost $10,000 per year.. Vern's plating in El Segundo still does true triple plating. Very expensive, but right the first time.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

trjford8    -- 03-06-2017 @ 1:01 PM
  Make the chromer in Salem stand behind his work. You paid the price so it's up to him to make it right. If he sent it out then it's up to him to correct it with the other chromer.

Bob-93021    -- 03-10-2017 @ 9:54 PM
  The last I heard, a cyanide permit in LA County cost $10,000 per year.. Vern's plating in El Segundo still does true triple plating. Very expensive, but right the first time.

wmsteed, I do not mean to side track this discussion but you mention "Vern's" in El Segundo as a good plater. I am in Ventura County and am looking for a good plater for bumpers. A friend did recommend "Faiths" plating as being good. Do you have any other good guys or outfits to stay away from in SoCal? Thanks - Bob

woodiewagon46    -- 03-11-2017 @ 7:46 AM
  wmsteed, also to be considered, is the disposal of the spent chemicals used in the chroming process. The gentleman that owns the shop that does our local plating, won't say the exact amount he pays to have 55 gallon drums removed and treated but he claims you can buy a car with the cost. I understand all of the cost of chemicals and permits and I'm ok with it. What scares me is the "outlaw" chrome shops that operate without permits. How do they dispose of their chemicals? I probably know the answer.

37 Coupe    -- 03-11-2017 @ 9:20 AM
  I have had experience with three different chrome platers here in Ohio over the last 50 years.By far the best one is Custom Chrome in Grafton Ohio. Had many parts plated over 35 years ago that still look new and had great parts recently plated on my '37 Ford including the very rare locking hood ornament that had poor plating 80 years ago. I don't even drive the 100 miles or so to get to them I let FedEx do it.

sarahcecelia    -- 03-12-2017 @ 10:13 AM
  I had the bumpers on my 1950 sedan plated about 6-7 years ago and they are SUPER!!The firm that did them was: Tri City Plating, Elizabethton,Tn. They do the 3 step process, take out dents (and you can't find them)and "silver coat" the backs! I HIGHLY recommend them!800-251-7536, Porter is the guy's name you want.

Regards, Steve Lee

supereal    -- 03-25-2017 @ 1:39 PM
  After a jerk rear ender my '47, I had to replace the rear bumper and guards. My usual sources couldn't help, so I started calling the ads in the various magazines. I located the "Bumper Boys", and they not only had the pieces, but the quality of the plating was first class. Since the EPA cracked down on the plating places, most of the jobs are dome south of the border, as were my parts. We are fortunate that most of the trim on our old Fords is "rustless" metal (stainless steel) that Henry preferred. We have ordered actual chrome plated pieces from Drake that are also very nice.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10568