Topic: 1948 Ford Steering Box

Blase    -- 03-04-2017 @ 4:58 AM
  How do you replace a 1948 Ford Steering box

Stroker    -- 03-04-2017 @ 1:58 PM
  I "think" (If I can recall) it goes something like this:

Remove the steering wheel with an appropriate "screw-in" puller.

Place the car on a hoist or over a service pit.

Remove the Pitman Arm from the Steering Arm

Unbolt the Steering Box from the frame rail.

Lower the Steering Box forward and down, withdrawing
the steering shaft out the bottom of the Mast Jacket (steering column)

I know this is pretty "brief", and you may "encounter" some exhaust cross-over pipe issues withdrawing the assembly from the Steering Mast, depending upon whether the engine is installed.

I'm sure Supereal or someone that's done this more recently than I have on a 48 will have a LOT to add.
The steering input shaft on ALL 28-48's is integral with the steering sector "worm", so it ALL has to come out as an "assembly". Some folks will take the steering arm off the box to gain "maneuvering-room" if the engine is installed.

Consider yourself "lucky" that it isn't a 39 or older, as you at least don't have to "deal-with" the light switch assembly and control shaft that runs down the center of the steering shaft on those years from "ABOVE".

supereal    -- 03-08-2017 @ 9:20 AM
  Removing the steering box can be an ordeal, as the steering wheel shaft stays with the box as it is pressed into the worm gear and has to come out as an assembly thru the bottom. We used a hoist. Taking off the steering wheel, disconnecting the shift rods and horn wire is necessary, and you may have to release the dashboard clamp so the tube can be maneuvered. It has been a long time since I have done one. My friend Dan (Stroker) has covered it pretty well.

woodiewagon46    -- 03-08-2017 @ 3:32 PM
  I know it's more work, but I wouldn't hesitate to remove the driver side exhaust manifold and and crossover pipe. Lot's more room.

supereal    -- 03-16-2017 @ 1:16 PM
  If the exhaust manifold hasn't been off the car for a long time, it is almost certain that one or more bolts will twist off. The many heat/cool cycles anneal the bolts, making them soft and easy to break. Getting the broken part out can be a real chore. If there is sufficient bolt remaining, we weld a nut on it. The heat of the welding can help release the threads. If the bolt is broken flush with the block, it is best left to a pro to get it out, or risk damage to the block.

bo8109b    -- 03-17-2017 @ 1:16 PM
  If you don't have a lift available, you can remove the box with the front on steel ramps. After steering wheel, pitman arm, shift levers and left end of drag link are removed , remove two of three attachment bolts on box so it can pivot. Remove upper and lower column brackets, tilt column down a bit and slide it backward off the tube. Under the car, remove that third box bolt and pull the assembly out. If replacing the column floor seal, remove floor fasteners and slide floor back about an inch.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10565