Topic: New guy

Bob-93021    -- 03-02-2017 @ 10:14 PM
  Hello, I recently re-discovered this site. Seem like a lot of knowledge here and polite exchanges. I bought a 47 Tudor a few years ago and it has been just sitting while I work on other things. Finally got some time and first thing was to get it running again. I easily got it started after sitting about a year. I will now slowly sort through a few issues with it. Please bear with me on attempts to post pix of stuff as I learn this site. BTW, I am an early Ford V8 member and totally enjoy the monthly magazine -Bob

ken ct.    -- 03-02-2017 @ 10:26 PM
  Looks like a nice tent find,welcome to the site and happy motering. ken isidor ct.

len47merc    -- 03-03-2017 @ 4:46 AM
  Nice find! That layer of attractive dust looks like more than a year of sitting! Some great, knowledgeable and helpful guys on here will get you where you want to go quickly.

I've a '47 as well and in retrospect wish I'd jumped on the '41-'48 Ford Book the day I assumed ownership of the car. If you do not have it already suggest you purchase one as soon as possible as it will help you make the correct decisions for down the road whether you decide to restore, have it judged and/or preserve and drive. Helps prevent those 'I wish I hadn't done this earlier' moments and having to 'redo' something because you may not have done it 'right' the first time. Money well spent, you'll save time & $'s in the long run and well worth the investment.

Looking forward to hearing you have it on the road for the first time!

Steve

Bob-93021    -- 03-03-2017 @ 8:30 PM
  Ken, Steve. I do in fact have the Early Ford 41-48 book. When I got my 47 car I was really confused on what year it was. I was familiar with the 1946 model that folks had when I was a kid. Mine has 3 pos ign switch, tube shocks, fresh air heater. Using the book I deciphered the window glass, which is all original except for one I replaced with correct etching. Glass etching indicate October 1947. I would say all features are same as a 1948.
I have slowly been fixing things. Got all lights working and some wiring repairs. Harness is original and fragile. One thing that bugged me from day one was oil bath air filter would not fit unless it was turned about 40 degree clockwise to clear fuel line. Reason for this was someone put a tapered pipe thread adapter and fittings into carb inlet with a rubber fuel line to pump. I was not sure if I had wrong carb, air filter or both. All it needed was the correct formed 1/4" fuel line from pump to carb and air filter is now rotated into correct position. I also found the vac brake line disconnected near carb base and banjo port still attached to manifold soldered shut! New line is on order. Just little stuff I will be working on at my leisure on this. - Bob

ken ct.    -- 03-03-2017 @ 10:09 PM
  You will be lucky if PO did not screw up threads in the carb inlet as they are NOT pipe thread. You may end up with a leak at the special ford nut on the ends of the carb to FP line. Their 1/2 x 20 straight thread and seal with the beveled band on the end . ken ct. Call if you need help on this cell 1-203-260-9780

TomO    -- 03-04-2017 @ 8:20 AM
  Your car may be a 1948 Ford. It has all of the features of a 1948 and 10 47 glass bugs could be found in a 48 car. Check your frame serial number. If it begins with 899A, it is a 1948. The 1947 cars started with 799A.

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_serialnumbers.htm

You have a very nice car. Once you get it running in safe condition, I am sure that you will enjoy taking it to Cruise Nights and Early Ford V-8 Club events.

Tom

len47merc    -- 03-04-2017 @ 10:43 AM
  One consideration, albeit perhaps specific to the '47 model year, is that some of the serial numbers shown as the 'end of the run' for a specific model year may have been completed and titled in January of the following year. My '47 is just such an example, having a serial number at the very tail end of the '46 model year (as shown on Van Pelt's site and other documentation I've seen), and speedometer, radio and clock date stamps of very late December '46, and original glass window bugs showing January '47. I am not well-read and informed on the '47-'48 transition or the implementation dates of the specific '48 changes but perhaps Bob-03021's car may fall into such a category as well.

Possibly yet another example of what makes this hobby so interesting.

Steve

Bob-93021    -- 03-04-2017 @ 12:43 PM
  Thanks guys, Checked my title on car and it is 799A. Definitely a 47. Thanks for the link to VanPelts. I had forgotten how much info is there. The Early Ford 41-48 book has also been very helpful. I suspect that some differences in assy was due to where the car was built and what parts they had in inventory.
I looked at a number of 46-48 Fords before purchasing mine and had a hard time to find one in mostly original condition - that I could afford. It HAD to have a flathead engine in it. Nothing sound as good as these old flatties.

Bob-93021    -- 03-04-2017 @ 12:52 PM
  You will be lucky if PO did not screw up threads in the carb inlet as they are NOT pipe thread. You may end up with a leak at the special ford nut on the ends of the carb to FP line. Their 1/2 x 20 straight thread and seal with the beveled band on the end . ken ct. Call if you need help on this cell 1-203-260-9780
(above is a quote - I do not know how to change to italics)

Ken, thank you for your insight into this. As soon as I found the taper thread fitting I located an old similar carb that had a short piece of tubing with correct fitting attached. I removed carb from engine so that I could assess threads and slowly worked correct fitting into carb inlet. Happy to report that thread worked fine and no leaks. The formed fuel line from Mac's worked perfect. I just found another inconsistency of parts but will start a new thread later. - Bob

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10563