Topic: b/pedal return spring

JohnA    -- 02-15-2017 @ 11:34 AM
  have new brake pedal return spring #7523,for my 48 Ford 2dr sedan,I know one end goes on pin on b/c shaft where does other end hook up to,thought it was clutch c/shaft but seems to long.Tks for any help.Johna

supereal    -- 02-15-2017 @ 12:11 PM
  The end of the spring goes into a small hole on the frame member behind the pedal mounting. Due to dirt and grime, it may be hard to find.

len47merc    -- 02-15-2017 @ 12:35 PM
  If you haven't found it by the time I get home I'll try and post a pic of the same spring's mounting locations on my 47 and post it. Perhaps that'll help you.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 2-15-17 @ 12:38 PM

JohnA    -- 02-15-2017 @ 1:10 PM
  Thanks,guys.

len47merc    -- 02-15-2017 @ 3:11 PM
  Johna - attached is a photo of the front/upper attachment point for the brake spring on my '47. The picture is taken looking straight up from under the car. The small attachment flange is horizontal, parallel to the ground and is held in place by the back driver's side cadmium plated oil pan bolt. I have worked on multiple '46s and 2 '47's (including this one) and all had this spring attached as shown here. I have had one judge indicate their surprise that this part was still intact as most, according to him, are long lost, bent or broken.

supereal has far more experience and knowledge than me and perhaps the orientation shown here is not technically correct but I have seen no other connection point on any of the '46s-'47s I've worked on, and, given the judge's comments, assume this to be correct. It should be the same for '46-'48 but there are differences in the later '47s and '48s - don't know if this is one but do not see a reference to it anywhere in my documentation. If this flange is present on your car I'd strongly suspect this is correct for you. Hope this helps -

Steve

len47merc    -- 02-15-2017 @ 3:11 PM
  Sorry - forgot to attach the pic.

Steve

40 Coupe    -- 02-16-2017 @ 6:33 AM
  The 6 Cyl spring is 11" long and the V8 is 7.6" The V8 is shown below.

JohnA    -- 02-16-2017 @ 9:54 AM
  Gotcha,I know I have right spring.Thanks

len47merc    -- 02-16-2017 @ 1:01 PM
  JohnA - was the attachment point & pic I provided what you were looking for and if so were you able to find it and attach the spring there? Or did I misinterpret your question?

Steve

JohnA    -- 02-16-2017 @ 1:25 PM
  Yes Len, thats what I"m looking for,mine is missing so I""ll make one up,bracket is probably no bigger than 1"or 2" overall., is that right??

len47merc    -- 02-16-2017 @ 1:52 PM
  Give me a bit and I'll measure it. The car is currently up on stands (stored off the tires) so it's an easy creeper roll today. You're likely close with your numbers. I'll give you approx L x W to the closest ten thousandth or so with a handy-dandy tape measure and you can take it from there...

If I can get a mic on it I'll provide the thickness as well.

Steve

len47merc    -- 02-16-2017 @ 2:17 PM
  I was of course joking about the ten thousandth or so but I was able to get a mic on 3 of the 4 main dimensions (easier than the tape).

All dimensions include whatever paint is on both sides of the part plus any debris/grime I failed to completely wipe off but the latter should be very minimal and these figures should be close.

Both corners of the part nearest the oil pan have a tight radius to them.

Width - the part is a bit tapered with the wider end nearest the oil pan mic'ing out at ~0.880" just ahead of the corners' radii. The furthest end near where the spring attaches mics out at ~ 0.830", again on the side flats just prior to the start of the larger radius.

Length - best approximation is 1 3/8" (1.375") from the middle of the base nearest the oil pan to the middle of the large radius beyond where the spring attaches.

The center of the hole appears to be ~3/16" from the end's radius.

Thickness is ~0.075".

Fwiw this should work for you - you may want to test it first to ensure the spring is as perpendicular as you can get it to the mounting boss/pin on the brake pedal bracket attached to the frame. These numbers should get you as close as you need to be - just suggesting you check the other end of the spring to ensure it is not canted one way or the other after mounting.

Hope this helps -

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 2-16-17 @ 2:35 PM

JohnA    -- 02-16-2017 @ 4:08 PM
  Thanks,again.Johna

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10509