Topic: Carb Rebuild

tommyleea    -- 02-14-2017 @ 6:52 AM
  53 Flathead with Ford Carb EAB 9510A...94 series..
I have the carb apart for cleaning. Looking at parts sheet, and from other info, it appears there should be a check weight below the accelerator pump discharge nozzles. I removed the nozzles, and it looks like something is in the well, but it won't come out. I put air pressure in the accel pump cavity, and air comes out the nozzle well, but no bits or pieces come out. Is this part a permanent part of this style carb, or should it come out? It looks like the needle from the needle and seat. I know the rebuild kit fits different models, and maybe this part is different for this carb. Anyone have experience with this issue? Should this part actually come out? I have soaked the carb in cleaner to remove any sludge that might be in this area. I can't imagine it being stuck in there that tight. I thought initially maybe this piece was just missing, but there is no room for it. Thanks

kubes40    -- 02-14-2017 @ 7:20 AM
  There is a small needle in that cavity as you figured. It looks very much like the needle at the float.
It should come out. If it is stuck in there securely, it MUST come out to find out why it is stuff so well.

40cpe    -- 02-14-2017 @ 7:21 AM
  it is supposed to drop out when turned upside down. I put carb cleaner in the hole and in the passage in the accelerator pump well and let it set. Keep adding the cleaner as it evaporates. It should eventually come out when you put air pressure directly to the hole in the bottom of the accelerator pump well. Lay a rag over the body to catch the weight and prevent the spray from getting in your eyes.

tommyleea    -- 02-14-2017 @ 7:27 AM
  Thanks, I will keep soaking and working to get it out.

ken ct.    -- 02-14-2017 @ 7:45 AM
  Hold it tight in your hand and slam it down hard on a solid piece of wood (like a deck board or a wooden boardIts made of brass. It will eventually come out polish up real well especially the tip part. These are brass unlike the inlet needle which is a monel alloy.Do not use a rubber tipped needle or a rubber accelerator pump. Call if you need more help. 1-203-260-9780 cell ken ct.

This message was edited by ken ct. on 2-14-17 @ 8:46 AM

ken ct.    -- 02-14-2017 @ 7:49 AM
  PS their should be a new one in the kit you bought. Maybe China made kits don't include it my USA kits do. ken ct.

tommyleea    -- 02-14-2017 @ 8:38 AM
  Thanks for the advice. I haven't checked the kit yet, but will keep you in mind. Thanks again.

tommyleea    -- 02-14-2017 @ 5:58 PM
  Finally broke loose.. Not sure why it was lodged in there, it looks clean as a whistle.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10507