Topic: 40 trumpet horn repair needeed

samkohlmeier    -- 02-14-2017 @ 5:55 AM
  Pls advise any contact for 40 Trumpet Horns rebuild and/or how to repair and where to get parts. One horn will work occasionally if banged on. Tough to do while driving!
Thanks for any help.
Sam

mrtexas    -- 02-14-2017 @ 6:55 AM
  Probably just needs adjustment. Move the adjustment screw a little, test, and repeat.

This message was edited by mrtexas on 2-14-17 @ 7:00 AM

TomO    -- 02-14-2017 @ 12:18 PM
  Horns should not need adjustment if they have not been maladjusted.

To test the horns, use a 12ga or larger wire connected at the NEG terminal of the battery and touch the wire going to the horn at the horn relay. I both horns work with this test, the problem is dirty relay contacts. If neither horn works, the horn motor contact may be dirty or maladjusted.

To clean the horn relay contacts, pry the cover off of the relay and spray electrical contact cleaner on the points. You can also use a burnishing blade to clean them. Burnishing blades are available at electronic supply stores.

If the horns are bad, try cleaning the horn motor contacts. If they are badly pitted, use a burnishing blade to clean them and the adjust the arm that opens the contacts so that it opens the contacts as soon as the horn motor armature moves.

Tom

Drbrown    -- 02-14-2017 @ 5:24 PM
  This may help ...... www.secondchancegarage.com/public/198.cfm

This message was edited by Drbrown on 2-14-17 @ 5:25 PM

samkohlmeier    -- 02-18-2017 @ 8:33 AM
  Thanks. 40 f0rd PU Sam

samkohlmeier    -- 02-18-2017 @ 8:38 AM
  Corrected orig email address is below

Thanks Tom,
Would you do this if I get the horns to you?
Regards,
Sam
ikohlmeier@verizon.net

This message was edited by samkohlmeier on 2-18-17 @ 8:42 AM

TomO    -- 02-19-2017 @ 10:13 AM
  Sam,

I am sorry, but I don't do work for anyone else, anymore. I have found that my hourly fee of $1,000 with a 3 hour minimum, seems to be more than the market will bear.

Baxter Ford Parts in Lawrence , KS does some electrical work. You could try contacting them.

Baxter's Ford Parts
Lawrence, KS
785-842-9256
baxterford@sunflower.com

Their may be others on this site or on the Ford Barn that do work for others. I just have too many of my own unfinished projects.

Tom

len47merc    -- 02-20-2017 @ 5:13 AM
  Jeesh Tom - when did you start offering a discounted rate?

Steve

TomO    -- 02-20-2017 @ 8:42 AM
  Steve that rate is for simple electrical repairs, I charge more if I have to get my hands dirty and have another higher rate for crawling under the car. There is no minimum for crawling under the car as it takes me 3 hours to get onto a creeper and 5 hours to get back up.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10506