Topic: 59ab oil pressure

jc    -- 02-12-2017 @ 3:29 PM
  I bought a running engine for my ford, knowing full well I would have to do some work, maybe even rebuild. It has 90 to 100 lbs compression in all cylinders, and I now have it in my car running. I let it warm up and I see the oil pressure goes from 40 lbs cold down to about 12 lbs warm. I am pretty sure that is not good. I have been studying the forum to see if I can find any discussions on this, but nothing yet.
My question is, will a new oil pump cure this, or am I looking at a bigger issue?

MG    -- 02-12-2017 @ 3:49 PM
  12 lbs. of pressure when warm is not a problem. I consider the readings you state to be fairly normal for most street flatheads....

This, from Ron Bishop's Book - "Rebuilding The Famous Ford Flathead" - Page 51 - "The flathead oil system ran between 10-15 pounds of pressure, but is not considered a pressurized system by today's standards."

This message was edited by MG on 2-12-17 @ 4:05 PM

jc    -- 02-12-2017 @ 3:58 PM
  Thanks for your response. I had experience with flatheads almost 50 years ago, but now I have this one running, and there are several things I'm trying to relearn.

ken ct.    -- 02-12-2017 @ 4:24 PM
  What you have is good to go.Bad idle warm pressure around 2-3 lbs is a little worrysome. You got plenty,run ur. ken ct.

len47merc    -- 02-12-2017 @ 4:57 PM
  I chased this concern on my 59AB based solely on the stock oil pressure gauge on the dash reading and my modern-car paradigms. For peace of mind, if an issue for you, do yourself a favor and connect a quality mechanical gauge and check your when-warm (during summer weather is best) idle and running rpm pressures, then use the dash gauge for reference only going forward. Running 10W-30 or 15W-40 you'll likely find during the hottest months and hottest operating temps you're running maybe 30 lbs or so at speed and ~5 at idle. From all my research on this Forum and replies from senior, well-seasoned and informed Members, these results are reflective of what is to be expected from a healthy 59AB.

As an additional note, recall the 'If it ain't leaking it ain't a Ford' moniker? Think about the possible results that may arise from increasing oil pressure beyond that generated by a healthy, stock oil pump.

As kenct says, if the above or better are your results '...let her run...'. If your dash gauge is found to be accurate at 40 & 12 you are ahead of the game.

Steve

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10500