Topic: Install both water pumps, comments from nelsbo1

rsh1950    -- 02-06-2017 @ 3:07 PM
  nelsbo1 you sent me some excellent instructions (1/2/17)but I have questions.
Here is what I did today:
1. Removed the shroud from under the radiator and loosened the clamps on the hoses. I suppose it will be best to remove the hoses completely?
2. Removed battery and put a short 2x6 under the front tires (makes it higher and easier to get under).
Now here is where I have more questions. I know you said to use a bottle jack and a piece of 2x4, but I can not see any way to get to the front of the motor with a bottle jack and 2x4. I feel pretty sure I should not jack up under the harmonic balancer pulley. What do you think about using a nylon sling to get around the front of the motor and use my cherry picker to lift entire front of the motor?
I know the hoses will be tough to get off but for me the big problem is getting to motor lifted.
Comments are welcomed for anyone.
Thanks
rsh1950

4dFordSC    -- 02-06-2017 @ 4:23 PM
  Put the 2x4 under the oil pan.

rsh1950    -- 02-06-2017 @ 7:36 PM
  4dfordsc
I will take a look tomorrow when I go back out to the farm shop. I know I can get the 2x4 under the oil pan where it is deeper, but I am thinking it needs to be at the front. Sitting here at home I can't visualize the front of the pan. I think the cross member is in the way. I will check it out tomorrow.

Thanks for you input.
rsh1950

nelsb01    -- 02-06-2017 @ 9:33 PM
  Sorry I have not been able to reply sooner.
Yes, a 2 by 4 under the front of the oil pan is what you want. You are really just trying to support the motor and lift it ever so slightly.
And yes, you will need to remove the lower radiator hoses.

You have to remember that the water pumps are part of the motor mounts also, and if you lift too much, you will bind them and not be able to get the water pump away from the motor mounts.

This message was edited by nelsb01 on 2-7-17 @ 6:08 AM

MICHV8    -- 02-07-2017 @ 5:35 AM
  Don't forget the hidden bolts!!!

rsh1950    -- 02-07-2017 @ 5:38 AM
  Thanks for your input. I will go back out to the shop and work on it.

By the way to get the fan belt off I just tilted the generator forward. I do not see a way to adjust the belt. I must be missing something??

rsh1950

This message was edited by rsh1950 on 2-7-17 @ 7:44 AM

nelsb01    -- 02-07-2017 @ 11:41 AM
  there should be a large cadium plated nut at the bottom of the generator mounting bracket.
That is where the loop that goes over the top of the generator attaches to.
Just loosing it allows the generator to drop and that should be enough to remove that belt.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10480