Topic: Back-up camera's in early Ford V8's?

1934 Ford    -- 02-02-2017 @ 3:09 PM

After nearly 50 years of touring in early Ford V8's, I've decided it's time for a back-up camera, Blind spots get bigger with driving experience and it's exciting to back up in crowed places.
Modern cars have back-up cameras and I like them. Has anyone out there tried to wire up a 12 volt camera on our 6 volt cars? Any preferences as to type and mounting position. I think the left side license plate mount would give a distorted view, any thoughts or experience?

1934 Ford's since 1972

TomO    -- 02-03-2017 @ 9:11 AM
  I have used a wireless camera and did not like it. I used a converter to make the voltage 12V neg ground. The problem with the wireless was all of the static generated by the motor and generator. Mine was mounted in the center of the car on the license plate bracket. On your 34, you could mount it on the spare tire. I have not tried a wired camera.

Tom

trjford8    -- 02-04-2017 @ 10:19 AM
  You'll need a 6volt to 12 volt inverter and mounting it on the spare as TomO suggests would be your best bet. I installed one for a friend on a 55 Chevy sedan delivery and he was very happy with it. It was extremely helpful to him in that vehicle. They are not that difficult to install. If you used a repo hubcap on the spare you could drill a hole in the center of the cap for the electronic eye. Or you could make a bracket that attaches to two of the lower or upper spokes of the wheel to mount the eye.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 2-4-17 @ 10:23 AM

Gledbetter    -- 02-06-2017 @ 2:41 PM
  I have absolutely no experience, but just this week I found an article on page 56 of the March 2017 edition of Popular Mechanics addressing this issue. It's not cheap. It uses your cell phone as the monitor. It is designed for 12 volt, so your six volt system may prove problematic, but it may give you a starting point. Good luck on that.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10469