Topic: How to decode the VIN

Mace    -- 01-31-2017 @ 9:09 AM
  I have a 1940 Ford Convertible. I want to know when it was made. Can someone tell me how to decode the VIN for that information

kubes40    -- 01-31-2017 @ 9:28 AM
  If you let me know the number, I can get you close. As you may or may not realize, the ID number will only get you close, within say a month or so. I have the factory build log sheets so am able to pin it down as much as possible.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

Mace    -- 01-31-2017 @ 10:40 AM
  Thanks Mike
My VIN 185720338

42wagon    -- 02-01-2017 @ 3:36 AM

There is no code as we know it today to the 1940 vin numbers. Ford started in 1932 with sequential serial numbers starting with 18-1. As each engine/transmission was assembled at the Rouge engine plant it was stamped with a serial number. The engines would then be shipped to the various assembly plants. When the engine was installed in a frame, the serial number would be transferred to the frame. If an engine was installed at the Dearborn plant it might have been used within a few days of being manufactured. If it was sent to a far away plant it might have taken awhile for it to be used. As you may know this is only a serial number there is no code as there is today that will describe the car.

If Kubes is lucky enough to have the log sheet for the assembly plant where your car was manufactured you might be able to tell in general when it was built. Another way to get close is the markings on the window glass that tell when the glass was manufactured. But again that will tell you only that the car could not have been assembled before the date on the glass.

kubes40    -- 02-01-2017 @ 12:05 PM
  Mace,
I can only offer a "guesstimate" of sorts as to when your vehicle was assembled. The engine & transmission assembly was produced late in the third week of April, 1940. It would have been shipped to one of the numerous assembly plants quite promptly. From there, it was a "first in - first out" rotation.

I'd say your vehicle was most likely produced in May, 1940 and most likely, the second week.

Sorry I am unable to be more specific but unfortunately that's all any of us can derive from records. If you have any of the authentic glass remaining in your vehicle, that can help a little as well. 42wagon described this perfectly.

If you are entertaining a proper restoration, you can pretty much figure your vehicle would have received all of the so called 'late" design changes.

Hope this helps...
Mike "Kube" Kubarth

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10463