Topic: Fan to Radiator Clearance

JayChicago    -- 01-26-2017 @ 10:58 PM
  Stock 1940, fan on the crankshaft.

I have little over 1 inch space between the fan blades and the radiator. I would like to get that space down to about 1/2 inch to get more air through the radiator at idle speed. (reduce the amount of parasite air that can be pulled in around the perimeter of the fan, in order to increase amount being pulled in through the radiator)

Any reasonably easy way to move the fan forward about a half inch?

I had a similar situation with my Small Block Chevy and it was a piece of cake...the aftermarket sells fan spacers made just for this purpose. I haven't seen anything like that for the flatheads.

ken ct.    -- 01-27-2017 @ 5:13 AM
  How about 1/2" spacers in between the fan and pulley with longer bolts,not rocket science. ken ct.

kubes40    -- 01-27-2017 @ 6:15 AM
  I suppose you could make a spacer easy enough. I'd suggest aluminum if you do. I question the gain in cooling by such a modification.
Are the lower engine pans in place on your '40? They go a long way to aid in cooling.
If the radiator is clean as well as the block , there is little reason your car should not operate well under nearly all circumstances.

TomO    -- 01-27-2017 @ 6:39 AM
  I tried a spacer years ago and it did not have any effect on cooling when idling. Cleaning the block and radiator and having good water pumps do the most good.

Put a piece of paper in front of the radiator when the engine is idling. It should stick firmly to the radiator. If not, spray the radiator fins with an all purpose cleaner like Simple Green, let it soak and then flush it out from the engine side of the radiator. You may have to perform this several times to fully clean the fins.

Tom

JayChicago    -- 01-27-2017 @ 5:58 PM
  Thanks for the advice, guys. Based on what I just heard from you I'm going to leave the fan alone. I will get the pumps rebuilt, and work on cleaning the block and radiator.

I have to plead ignorance on the engine pans. I'll have to educate myself about that and look for them. Would engine pans have much effect at slow/idle speed? This car has no coolling problem when moving, but does get hot quickly when idling or in stop-go traffic.

Sneezer    -- 01-28-2017 @ 3:45 AM
  Keep a lookout for them on Ebay. They are listed occasionally.

kubes40    -- 01-28-2017 @ 5:42 AM
  Jay, The pans are almost always gone. They were a bit of a project to remove properly and most times, mechanics would simply cut them to remove and unfortunately not replace them.
They are not rare and as has been previously advised, are often offered on eBay. For a decent pair, expect to pay around $75 - $100.
And yes, they will help with the proper air flow. Somewhere around here I have an engineering drawing of the air flow with the pans in place.
The pair in the photo are 1939. They will fit perfectly and function the same as a set for 1940 but are not concourse correct for '40.

This message was edited by kubes40 on 1-28-17 @ 5:45 AM

engine    -- 02-04-2017 @ 9:49 AM
  Jay, Take a picture of what you have and bring it to the meeting. You just got the car last summer so you like all of us are working out the kinks. Rocket science ?

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10450