Topic: 46-48 Conv. Door Panel.

billcarry    -- 01-23-2017 @ 11:49 AM
  My 48 conv. has interior door panels with three horizontal creases and no hoizontal bright holding. Looking thru the recent Hemmings postings I find a variety of door trim panels on 46-48 convertibles - some with three creases and a bright molding in one of the creases, some with no bright molding like mine, some with no creases and a bright molding, etc. The EFV8club 41-48 book does not describe this detail, shows a picture of a 48 convert with the three creases and the one bright molding.

Anyone able to help?

flathead48    -- 01-27-2017 @ 5:09 AM
  I looked at the picture in the Ford book and only saw two stitch seams and a chrome strip in middle, which is correct.

supereal    -- 01-28-2017 @ 2:04 PM
  The original convertible door trim is a yellow plastic strip with a stainless insert. It is shown clearly on page 3-38 of the 1941-48 Ford book available from our Club. To my knowledge, it is not being reproduced. The bright trim is held in place with small tabs which are very fragile. I found some 20 years ago for my '47 convertible from a friend's tip. They were pricey, but that is because they are rare.

This message was edited by supereal on 1-28-17 @ 2:05 PM

trjford8    -- 01-29-2017 @ 8:00 AM
  At one time Lebaron -Bonney had the plastic, but not the stainless.

supereal    -- 01-30-2017 @ 2:17 PM
  I agree, Tom, but the plastic without the center trim is incomplete. I found mine in a junkyard in Missouri. I did try LeBaron years ago, and they said, at that time, there wasn't enough demand to invest in the tooling to make the stainless strips. When convertibles just became "old cars", usually the top was in tatters, allowing the interior to be destroyed by weather. Locating parts is a real challenge when restoring most open cars, and if you find rare parts, cost is often prohibitive.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10435