Topic: Looking for his dad's car

Ihateoldcars    -- 01-19-2017 @ 6:14 AM
  I was contacted by a man hoping to locate his dad's 1933 Ford 5 Window Coupe. He is not trying to buy the car, just wants to know where it went. After his dad passed away in 2004 the car was sold thru eBay in 2005 to someone in "the Seattle area." It was from Springfield MA, black paint, red wheels and pinstripe, flat head powered, mohair interior, had a glove box radio and a flash light mounted on the steering column. I looked through the roster but didn't come up with any matches. I realize that not everyone lists their car there. So, if you know of this car or have any leads please contact me via this forum or by e-mail: ihateoldcars@hotmail.com. Thanks

supereal    -- 01-22-2017 @ 12:35 PM
  The "privacy" laws now in effect make tracing a vehicle mostly impossible. If you have a copy of the original title, it sometimes can be done. I did that with a Model A coupe years ago to be sure no liens clouded the title. License numbers and registration slips are not sufficient.

wmsteed    -- 01-23-2017 @ 11:22 AM
  During the past twenty plus years my old car hobby has evolved into a business. I have friends and relatives scattered throughout the eleven western states. I have been known to drive around with an open trailer behind my outfit with an old car sitting on the trailer. Stopping for coffee, lunch in some small town can result in being approached by a "local" wondering about the old car on the trailer. I have "trolled up" as many as three cars out of small towns.
Many of the cars/vehicles I troll up have not been licensed/registered since 1949, (a '32 dodge in Montana). Since the vehicle has not been registered in many years there is no way to track the ownership there of. Most states tract vehicles by the registered plate number, they do not tract serial/vin numbers. Most states, especially mid western and southern, did not issue titles prior to the early 1970's. Early Ford V8's can be very different because Ford did not have a good system to track pedigrees i.e. build plant origin, motor/serial numbers, etc. It is also very common for states to drop vehicles from their records once the vehicle is over five to seven years old.
There are two exceptions to how long a vehicle will stay in a states system. If the vehicle has been reported as stolen and/or has a lien filed against it, the vehicle stays in the system until the vehicle is recovered and/or the lien cleared. From my experience either of the preceding will involve the plate and serial number being in the state records. I have had two of these on vehicle I purchased in Idaho, one was a '54 Chevy that a farmer had purchased new in 1954. The car was listed on a farm lien which had never been cleared.
I have learned the hard way to not purchase vehicles that do not have "all " of the ID plates/tags, serial number, engine, body attached in the proper places. Such a vehicle is nothing but a pile of parts.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10427