Topic: Worn wheels

pmonty    -- 01-16-2017 @ 6:29 AM
  The wheels on my 41 Super deluxe have worn-out raised points where the hub caps clip on, so the caps will not stay tight. This is probably because the wheels are 75 years old . I'm sure someone has experienced this and has lost hubcaps on a turn. What have you done to solve the problem? Someone before me has added some weld to the raised points but it did not work. Anyone out there with a fix? Any old wheels I have seen at parts markets have the same worn points like my wheels.

TomO    -- 01-16-2017 @ 10:20 AM
  Could your problem be the hubcaps? My 1940 hubcaps fit tight on the wheel and they are the same design as the 41 wheel.

Are your hubcaps original or reproductions? The original ones are a heavy stainless steel, some of the reproductions are made of a lighter gauge stainless and do not seem to spring back as well as the originals.

Tom

shogun1940    -- 01-16-2017 @ 1:19 PM
  Welding and grinding a bump will work, or you could try putting a steel rivet and then touching it up. Put sealer on the back.

woodiewagon46    -- 01-16-2017 @ 1:38 PM
  monty, I have to agree with Tom. After all, how many times do you think that taking off the hubcaps would it require to wear out the "bumps". If they are reproduction caps, that is probably the issue. I had the same issue with repro caps and built up the "bumps" (don't laugh) with 2" squares of duct tape and the hubcaps do not come off.

trjford8    -- 01-16-2017 @ 5:05 PM
  In the past I have drilled a 1/8" hole in the four "bumps" of the wheels and then put in a 1/8' pop rivet. It will tighten up the cap. The repo caps, if you have them, are the ones that do not want to stay on the wheel once they have been off and on a few times.

pmonty    -- 01-16-2017 @ 7:37 PM
  The caps are reproductions. Good suggestions re duct tape and also the rivets. We have used silicone sealer which does work except it is then hard to get them off and also miserable to clean up. Do you ever find any good original caps?

trjford8    -- 01-17-2017 @ 7:44 AM
  You can find decent original caps at swap meets, but you must be patient. You will usually buy them one at a time. If they have a few minor dents they can be saved. If it's "curb rash" don't waste your money.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10420