Topic: Switching a 6V Alternator

Dream38v8    -- 01-15-2017 @ 9:51 AM
  I am considering switching to a 6V alternator for my '38 Deluxe Fordor. What are the issues? What site has the best alternator and instruction? Should I go entire 12V and not worry about a 6V alternator?

This site has been very helpful in the past. It has allowed be to correct issues / problems I've encountered since I purchased my '38 in May '17.

Ray

CharlieStephens    -- 01-15-2017 @ 1:12 PM
  To me the main issue to me is that an alternator on an early car looks like **** (just my opinion). Other people may be neutral or even like the look of an alternator. Have a quality shop rebuild your current generator. If properly rebuilt it will last for years. If you really need more power go 12 volts. If you want to go 12 volts get a slightly later generator and have it converted to 12 volts when you have it rebuilt.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 1-15-17 @ 1:31 PM

4dFordSC    -- 01-16-2017 @ 4:38 AM
  You might wish to check with Ed Whitney, who converts Ford generators to lookalike alternators. He advertises in the V8 Times classifieds. I've had one of his conversions in my car for 10+ years with no issues.

This message was edited by 4dFordSC on 1-16-17 @ 4:40 AM

joe b    -- 01-16-2017 @ 5:52 AM
  X2 on Ed Whitney. He does excellent work and you will still have the stock look.

37 Coupe    -- 01-16-2017 @ 6:13 AM
  Same here Ed Whitney 6 volt alternator in a stock looking generator case that he supplies.You supply the ends. I think the alternator he uses is Kawasaki tractor . 10 years no problems ,not cheap but no brush adjustments needed.

TomO    -- 01-16-2017 @ 10:30 AM
  I would stick with 6 volts unless you have the need for 12 volt, like when you install air-conditioning.

What problem do you think that an alternator will fix, other than flattening your wallet? An Optima battery and a good generator and voltage regulator will work fine for most 32-53 Ford products.

The PO put an alternator on my Lincoln and I was having battery drain problems. I traced it back to a shorted diode in the alternator. I had the diode pack replaced and it lasted a few months before it shorted out again. I have had the generator back on for the past 2 years, with no problems.

Tom

Dream38v8    -- 01-16-2017 @ 4:20 PM
  Thanks Tom. I like your idea about the Optima battery and ensuring the generator is in top shape. No current problem to solve just looking ahead. No plans for air conditioning. If I do covert to an alternator I will work with Ed Whitney.

Thanks to all.

Ray

Drbrown    -- 01-16-2017 @ 7:28 PM
  Part of a decision as to whether to use a generator or alternator, and one might want to discuss this with someone like Bubba, is that I understand alternators put out "cleaner" power than a generator and that could be an important concern if planning to use an electronic ignition module, or other electronic device.

As mentioned elsewhere here, your future plans should be considered.

This message was edited by Drbrown on 1-16-17 @ 7:29 PM

supereal    -- 01-18-2017 @ 11:44 AM
  Many 6 volt alternators are the "one wire" type. A better choice is the kind with a separate connection to the ignition circuit to switch the alternator on and off. The one wire usually has to be revved up to kick it on after starting, or stop and go driving. The most popular conversion is from the GM type. They need to be revved up because the flatheads are slow turners compared to modern engines. We made a smaller pulley to increase alternator speed, which helped a bit, but still needs higher engine speed to "wake it up".

Drbrown    -- 01-19-2017 @ 8:10 PM
  I have one of those new versions of one-wire alternators that have only one terminal and start charging immediately. Seems one of these people that convert 6 volt generators to alternators could incorporate these newer internal sensors.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10417