Topic: 12 volt conversion of 1951 Ford Overdrive

Hrussell8750    -- 01-14-2017 @ 8:23 AM
  Can anyone tell me what parts/switches etc. need to be changed when a 6 volt system has been changed to a 12 volt system. It was a positive ground before and ran fine. Change to 12 volt negative ground, now overdrive will not work.
Thanks you for any help or diagrams.

Thank You, Harry Russell

trjford8    -- 01-15-2017 @ 7:18 AM
  I don't know much about overdrives, but they do have a solenoid to operate them. If you have the six volt solenoid you probably have to find a 12 volt replacement. Also if you have an in-line fuse to the unit you might want to check the fuse to make sure it is not burned out.

TomO    -- 01-15-2017 @ 7:48 AM
  You may have fried the overdrive relay and / or the solenoid. You will have to trouble shoot the electrical circuit for overdrive and replace the parts that were damaged as well as the ones that are for 6 volts only. I have no idea as to where you would find these parts.

Tom

Hrussell8750    -- 01-15-2017 @ 8:44 AM
  Thank you for the heads up I will check it out. It's a place to start .

Thank You, Harry Russell

Hrussell8750    -- 01-15-2017 @ 8:46 AM
  Thanks for the information, I'm having a hard time finding wire diagram for this 12 volt change over.

Thank You, Harry Russell

carcrazy    -- 01-15-2017 @ 11:07 AM
  One overdrive parts source is Randy Rundle at Fifth Avenue Antique Auto Parts in Kansas. His website is: fifthaveinternetgarage.com He will have most, if not all, of the parts you will need. He is a friendly guy that knows a lot about overdrives.

Drbrown    -- 01-17-2017 @ 6:12 AM
  Google for Borg-Warner Overdrives and download their design, repair and operation manuals. . Most overdrives copied BW designs. Lots of good info in them. The repair manual has a specific testing procedure for finding problems.

Your overdrive must currently have a 6 volt relay. My 12 volt relay is mounted on the engine compartment firewall along with a 30 amp fuse.

I recommend starting by changing the relay to a 12 volt. They are relatively inexpensive and available at most auto parts stores i.e. NAPA etc. Bosch brand are generally good.

Keep the larger gauge wiring. The solenoids initially draw a lot of current. Also, be sure the casing of the OD is well-grounded to the body/frame.

This message was edited by Drbrown on 1-17-17 @ 6:57 PM

Hrussell8750    -- 01-21-2017 @ 9:07 AM
  Thank you I will give them a try.

Thank You, Harry Russell

Drbrown    -- 01-21-2017 @ 9:50 PM
  Hrussell8750 .... PS .... if trying to find or download the Borg-Warner overdrive manuals, PM me and I'll email them to you as attachments.

supereal    -- 01-22-2017 @ 12:28 PM
  In addition to the relay on the firewall and the governor, there are two sets inside the cap of the solenoid. One set allows the relay to pull. the other is a "holding" set that keeps the solenoid activated until the governor or the relay turns it off. I would suspect one or both points are burned, or the windings in the solenoid have opened with the doubling of the voltage. When you double the voltage from 6 to 12 the current in the solenoid is reduced by half, which may not be enough to pull it. The polarity change should't affect the operation.

DJ    -- 04-06-2017 @ 8:12 PM
  I have a 51 Ford Custom, 8 cal Flathead. Stock 6 volt. Pictured below is the overdrive relay. I believe this is a 12 volt relay. My overdrive is not working. Will the 12 volt relay work on the 6 volt system? If so, how do I wire? The 12 volt has 4 wire connecting locations vs 3 on 6 volt system. Ty

Drbrown    -- 04-06-2017 @ 8:47 PM
  DJ : My '47 was converted to 12 volt and its Borg-Warner OD uses a standard 3-wire Bosch 12 v 30 amp relay; pretty similar to most over-the-counter relays.

OD Parts ? Advice ? Lloyd E. Young in Winchester Ohio (land line 614-837-7832).

TomO    -- 04-07-2017 @ 7:26 AM
  DJ,
A 12 volt relay will not work on 6 volts. Buy a 6 volt relay and make sure that it makes good contact with the firewall for grounding purposes.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10416