Topic: 37 cowl vent hinge p/n

1937sedandelivery    -- 01-08-2017 @ 8:23 PM
  Hello,
I am trying to find the part number for a 1937 Ford cowl vent hinge mechanism. The books I have (GB, Chassis Parts List & Automotive Hardware and Trimming Supplies)list all the other cowl vent parts but the hinge. Any help would be appreciated. Please see attached pics.
Thanks,
Gregg

This message was edited by 1937sedandelivery on 1-8-17 @ 8:26 PM

MG    -- 01-09-2017 @ 12:06 AM
  Except for the lever, I don't think there is a separate part number for what you show. What you show is part of the "Cover (cowl ventilator) and deflector assembly" > The assembly Part Number is 78-700600 which covers the assembly in its entirety minus the lever....

The Lever (cowl ventilator) is Part Number is 78-70612

1937sedandelivery    -- 01-09-2017 @ 8:01 AM
  Thanks MG,
I believe you are correct. That certainly makes sense and fills in the gap. Now I can move on to searching for all the other p/n's. I am attempting to document (photo & p/n) every part in my car.
Your help saves me time,
gregg

40 Coupe    -- 01-10-2017 @ 3:37 AM
  If the nut for the tension spring and friction washers is a 48- style it should be a slotted hex or castle style and the stud on the hinge may have a hole at the end both for a cotter pin?? If so there will not be a lock washer under the nut. I believe your also missing a brass roller 48-700615 to fit over the shaft and inside the slot of the linkage rod?

This message was edited by 40 Coupe on 1-10-17 @ 3:42 AM

40 Coupe    -- 01-10-2017 @ 3:37 AM
  If the nut for the tension spring and friction washers is a 48- style it should be a slotted hex or castle style and the stud on the hinge may have a hole at the end both for a cotter pin?? I believe your also missing a brass roller 48-700615 to fit over the shaft and inside the slot of the linkage rod?

1937sedandelivery    -- 01-10-2017 @ 8:35 PM
  Hi 40 Coupe,
You are right on. The nut is a castle nut, and yes, there is a hole in the shaft for a cotter pin. Bingo, I don't need the lock washer and things just got a bit more accurate, much appreciated. To boot, I do need the brass roller and can nowhere find one. I am going to the Big3 swap meet in San Diego and it is on my list. I would be game for an aftermarket version but can't find anybody that carries it.
Thanks,
Gregg

1937sedandelivery    -- 01-10-2017 @ 8:35 PM
  Hi 40 Coupe,
You are right on. The nut is a castle nut, and yes, there is a hole in the shaft for a cotter pin. Bingo, I don't need the lock washer and things just got a bit more accurate, much appreciated. To boot, I do need the brass roller and can nowhere find one. I am going to the Big3 swap meet in San Diego and it is on my list. I would be game for an aftermarket version but can't find anybody that carries it.
Thanks,
Gregg

40 Coupe    -- 01-11-2017 @ 3:48 AM
  The roller is not reproduced and used originals are usually worn out. 48-700615, Yellow brass, 0.400" O.D, 0.275" I.D, 0.100 W. Nice little job for a manual lathe.

1937sedandelivery    -- 01-11-2017 @ 7:16 AM
  Darn. I will have to find a lathe friend.
It seems like steel would have been a better choice than brass for this part. Do you know why Henry did brass?

Thanks,
gregg

40 Coupe    -- 01-12-2017 @ 4:52 AM
  I can only guess, it was because steel would eventually rust and seize onto the shaft. There is a possibility for a bit of moisture in the cowl vent operating mechanism area???

1937sedandelivery    -- 01-12-2017 @ 8:12 PM
  ah, I will buy that...would also buy a roller if I could find one in good shape. I am thinking I will make one, starting from a bolt with the correct (or close) OD, then drill it out for the correct ID. Grind it to the correct thickness and voila! will see how it really goes.
Thanks!
gregg

TomO    -- 01-14-2017 @ 8:55 AM
  Gregg, I would look for a small job machine shop and have them make you one from brass. Steel will wear out the hard to find arm and will be noisy during operation. The brass will wear before the steel and will remain quiet in operation for its full life.

I have had small parts made by different machine shops over the years and most of them have been small cash deals or a case of beer. Some of them were made just so the shop owner could have a ride in the car.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10407