Topic: pin hole block leaks

fenbach    -- 01-05-2017 @ 3:47 PM
  I'm looking for recommendations on rebuilding [or not] a '37 block with pin hole leaks from the cooling compartment into the valve passage ways.
the machine shop put water under pressure in the cooling compartment and a fine spray was visible in several of the passage ways. they can coat the inside of the cooling jacket with epoxy to [maybe] seal the holes. maybe.
anyone have experience with the epoxy coating or suggestions for salvaging the block? or should I just toss the it?
thanks.

woodiewagon46    -- 01-05-2017 @ 5:11 PM
  I don't know if I would invest any money in such an issue. Perhaps it's time to look for another engine. Sorry.

40cpe    -- 01-05-2017 @ 7:56 PM
  I would always know in the back of my mind that it was patched in a way that might give way any time. Unless a more positive way is suggested I would have to pass.

42merc    -- 01-06-2017 @ 3:56 AM
  H & H Flatheads (handhflatheads@hotmail.com) provide a pressure seal service for the water jackets that may be the answer for your problem.

TomO    -- 01-06-2017 @ 7:21 AM
  My first choice would be to find another 1937 block. If that can't be done, the epoxy coating does work if the block is cleaned of all corrosion and other contaminants.

I would be concerned about using a sealer that air cures in the cooling system. The bushings in the water pumps do leak small amounts of air and the sealer can cause the water pumps to seize.

Tom

fenbach    -- 01-06-2017 @ 3:00 PM
  tom [and others],
I have K-seal in my '36 block now and have had no trouble with the water pumps seizing. and the sealer pretty much stopped the leak from a crack between the n0. 1 piston and the exhaust valve.
I got the '37 block with intentions of having it rebuilt and replacing my [stock] '36 engine. but now have more options than answers.
1. do I live with a bit of seeping in the block I have now. it was rebuilt 10K miles ago.
2. do I try to have the crack fixed.
3. do I throw another bucket of money at the '37 block with the pin hole leaks.
4. do I look for another block to rebuild.
5. do I just buy a running engine.
6. do I replay the "chicken" scene from rebel without a cause??
anybody who has the right answer, just let me know. I'll have 1 or 2 blocks left over that are yours for the asking!

alanwoodieman    -- 01-06-2017 @ 6:30 PM
  we have been working on the same problem, have a 36 with LB engine has a crack, we have found 4 other engines 2 36-2-37 all with cracks, one even was completely rebuilt be fore crack discovery. talked with several people about welding blocks, seems a man in Ma has been quite successful. talked with muggie weld about there special rods, I am about ready to try this welding because these 21 stud, 36 -38 blocks that are rebuildable are getting real hard to find

MG    -- 01-07-2017 @ 8:03 AM
  Try these guys > LOCK-N-STITCH Inc.

website > http://www.locknstitch.com/index.html

TomO    -- 01-07-2017 @ 8:07 AM
  I would have the 36 block fixed by stitching the crack. This is the most reliable method of crack repair. Welding may stop the leak, but it may cause other cracks or warp the area.

A porous block tells me that the cooling passage walls are thin in some areas and you may have other problems in the future.

There is no definitive answer for your situation. A lot depends upon what else need to be done to the engine and how much you are willing to spend. The shop that you are dealing with will also come into play.

Tom

supereal    -- 01-07-2017 @ 1:17 PM
  Yes, leaking blocks can sometimes be repaired, but at our shop we don't do it because sealers seldom last. Water jackets have rough inner surface due to the sand casting method used to produce the blocks which prevents inspection of the area. Pinhole leaks most often occur in thin portions of the block due to "core shift" during casting. There are good blocks out there yet that are a much better bet.

trjford8    -- 01-08-2017 @ 8:16 AM
  I agree with Bob, I would be looking for another block. I would not trust a sealant.

engine    -- 01-12-2017 @ 7:42 AM
  We have a guy in our RG that has a 36 engine for sale. Tom it is Paul Jensen , I am out of town maybe you could pass on his information to this guy.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10400