Topic: starting problem

silverchief    -- 04-03-2010 @ 8:39 AM
  My 46 flathead has recently developed a quirky starting problem. With all systems in excellent condition, this happens: After sitting overnight in a chilly garage, next morning turn on key and give full time electric fuel pump about 10 or 15 seconds to fill the bowl. Choke out, hit the starter button. Jumps to life with about quarter turn, and if you catch the accelerator it runs and idles fine while warming up. If you don't, and it dies - then it will simply crank and crank, and no amount of pumping and coaxing will start it. Remove air cleaner, a shot of starting fluid, and problem is solved. Idles and runs fine.
Also, now has very momentary hesitation upon normal
accelertion. Aggravating! Welcome any suggestions.
Should also mention has some exhaust leak on left
bank.

Thanks much.

tudorbilll    -- 04-03-2010 @ 12:24 PM
  Try depressing the accelerator half way dn first then continue your start .Mine will sart with no choke then choke after start.Bill

ford38v8    -- 04-03-2010 @ 12:27 PM
  Chief, Your symptoms indicate several things may be happening. The hesitation on acceleration may be caused by dirt in the bowl clogging the jets, and/or dirt clogging the internal passageways of the carburetor. This may also be related to the hard start after initially dying. Next time it happens, before you use the starter fluid, look down into the carb (do not crank) with a flashlight while you goose the throttle. You should see two strong jets of gas squirt as you operate the throttle.

The hesitation may also be caused by a faulty economizer valve, which delivers extra gas when the throttle is opened. This could also be the cause of the bowl being empty in the morning, as the gas will seep out overnight.

All of these symptoms suggest that a carb rebuild is in order.

The exhaust leak may not have any bearing on the problems, but the leak itself may be a symptom of a clogged muffler pipe, which could definitely cause some of the problems described.

Alan

TomO    -- 04-03-2010 @ 12:29 PM
  The hesitation is probably due to the accelerator pump leather deteriorating.

Try starting with the choke half way out. You may be choking it too much.

Tom

supereal    -- 04-03-2010 @ 1:00 PM
  I had the same problem TomO describes. It turned out to be a weak accelerator pump spring. When the throttle is worked, it is actually the spring that pushes the plunger down. Sometimes it took a couple of shots of starting fluid to get it going. Choking caused more problems. Very few old Fords need it. Now, I give the accelerator three or four pumps, and hit the starter. If the engine tries to die, a couple of more pumps keeps it going as it warms up. We have found that the pump springs in carb kits are often too weak, and we reuse the old ones. As you describe hesitation, I suspect that your starting problem is related.

silverchief    -- 04-08-2010 @ 8:33 PM
  Thanks Tom,

I'll try it like that.

silverchief    -- 04-08-2010 @ 8:36 PM
  Thanks Supereal,

I will take a look at the spring. As you say, it may be the cause of both problems.

silverchief    -- 04-08-2010 @ 8:37 PM
  Thanks Alan,

I agree - carb rebuild may be in order.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1039