Topic: BIG JOB from Dighton,Ma

ken ct.    -- 01-02-2017 @ 6:25 AM
  Email me or call 1-203-260-9780. I may have an answer to your oil leak problem ??? ken ct. Formally from Fall River ,Ma. I think ive talked to you before? Does anybody know him and can relay the above message,thanks for any help. This fella posts on the" Fordbarn ".

This message was edited by ken ct. on 1-2-17 @ 9:42 PM

GK1918    -- 01-03-2017 @ 1:49 AM
  shall do Ken yesterday I took the pump stand examined it and put some red atv
lets see know what happens thanks sam

ken ct.    -- 01-03-2017 @ 4:32 AM
  Are you "bigjob" from Dighton,Ma. First of all there is only one way to install said parts. #1 insert pushrod 7 7/8" for stock aluminum manifolds (umbrella goes down) , #2 place FP stand gasket on manifold , #3 insert 4 1/2" baffle tube into the block , small flare @ the top ,Now baffle flare should be almost flush with the gasket , Then the stand goes on. W or WO the pump installed. Your mistake is using 2 gaskets under the stand. Also the bottom of stand must not be warped like a bow. Must be flat and have the recess for the top of the baffle tube. The 2 gaskets your using there is the cause of your leaks./// This order must be followed to the "T" . If you are using an after market intake w/ 4 barrel carb,not sure it would take 7 7/8" rod and 4 1/2" baffle. might need 8 7/8" rod and 5"baffel used W /the cast iron stock manifold. ken ct. If you need to talk call me on cell 1-203-260-9780 ken ct. Born and brought up in Fall River,Ma.

Stroker    -- 01-03-2017 @ 11:45 AM
  BIG JOB: Excellent advice from Ken. I learned the "hard way" back in the Fifties that there is only "ONE WAY' to
install the fuel pump stand on a Flathead. Ken's "admonition" regarding the flatness of the bottom is "critical", as these are often warped due to prior incorrect installation. If the stand isn't too badly warped, you may be able to "dress-it" by lapping it in on a sheet of medium-grit sandpaper placed grit-up over a piece of plate glass. You can check the flatness with Prussian Blue machinists lay-out dye.

GK1918    -- 01-04-2017 @ 1:36 AM
  I fully understand, but what I was seeing is that funnel that sits on top of the
intake (cast iron) thats why I put a gasket under and over the top of it. Hard to
ex plane; so picture first the gasket/ next drop that funnel/ next drop that tube down
there. Now I'm seeing that funnel sticking up on top the gasket about .030 or so.
So how's that suppose to seal don't think the gasket will crush that much?
What should have been done or maybe I will counter bore the intake so now that
funnel will be flat. by the way I checked the motor I took out and thats exactly
the same deal but it didn't leak a drop. Still don't know why there is so much oil
in that area and yes there are baffles in the galley.

Hey Ken how long has it been when you lived in Fall River (I probably paved your driveway lol)
Also I have not touched a pre 1949 since the 50's all our work has been 8BAs Mercury and 337 Lincolns
sam

This message was edited by GK1918 on 1-4-17 @ 1:46 AM

ken ct.    -- 01-04-2017 @ 4:53 AM
  Left Ma. in 1964 for Ct. been here ever since. I dought it on the driveway. My pop never even paved the driveway in 77 yrs that I know of. My brother still lives in the old homestead. don't use the term funnel no one will know what your talking about. Correct term is baffle tube. Look carefully down in the vally ,there is a circuler slot thad the swedged end of the baffle tube fits into. Maybe clogged with dirt etc. not allowing the tube to fully go into it. Clean it out with a pick or stiff pipe cleaner and it should go all the way in. Put a piece of wood on top of the baffle and gently tap it in. cell me if you like,i hate to type. lol ken ct.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10388