Topic: 59AB Dual Exhaust

rdt52flthd    -- 01-01-2017 @ 1:32 PM
  I would like pros & cons of adding headers & duals to an otherwise stock 52 customline tudor. I like the sound. Any routing issues, etc. appreciated.

ken ct.    -- 01-01-2017 @ 1:56 PM
  Talk to Pat Rooney in Ohio. Cell 1-216-389-6135 . He makes the lft. side exhaust manifold for the 53 ,52 should be the same. For the dual setup on these cars. Exact duplicate of factory duals which came on police cars. ken ct.

rdt52flthd    -- 01-02-2017 @ 12:50 PM
  Thanks, I will follow up on the info.

supereal    -- 01-10-2017 @ 1:03 PM
  I had the dual exhaust installed in my '47 by the fine muffler shop we use for our customers. They made all the necessary pipes, including the tricky one for the left side that curls around the steering box. With a pair of "glass pack" straight through mufflers, it has that great sound most of us love. The cost was below the mail order places, and a whole lot better than a DIY project.

rdt52flthd    -- 01-13-2017 @ 1:16 PM
  Thanks, I have a local guy with an excellent shop who gets specialty cars all the time. I think he can get this done for me. I am looking at headers advertised in V8 Times.

ken ct.    -- 01-13-2017 @ 1:31 PM
  Theres not much gain using headers over stock exhaust manifolds ! ken ct.

mhsprecher    -- 01-13-2017 @ 4:39 PM
  Ken is right, from what I have read. No change in power or fuel economy with duals and headers on a stock flattie. Seems counterintuitive, but the tests have been done. Looks and sounds great, though.

oldford2    -- 01-14-2017 @ 12:54 PM
  Supereal has the right answer to find a talented pipe bender and have him bend and fit the pipes using the cast iron original manifolds. You said your car was stock but it has an earlier engine (59ab) instead of an 8ba? If you buy headers and pipes let the vendor know your 52 has and earlier engine. Also, before final clamping/welding be sure it clears the clutch pedal arm when depressed. Steel headers may increase the noise in the cockpit.
John

rdt52flthd    -- 01-16-2017 @ 11:10 AM
  I have a lot to think about! That's what I like about this forum & this club. Thanks for all the advice.

carcrazy    -- 01-16-2017 @ 11:42 AM
  You can purchase and install a set of Fenton cast iron headers from any of several vendors. Once you have the headers on the engine, you can take the car to a qualified muffler shop to have them bend up custom pipes and fit the glasspacks of your choice to the car. When installing the pipes that come out of the mufflers take care to have them routed around the handbrake cables.

rdt52flthd    -- 01-17-2017 @ 8:47 AM
  PS; I must have had a senior moment, It is an 8BA engine.

wmsteed    -- 01-17-2017 @ 9:29 AM
  In my youth I ran a custom exhaust shop in Eastern Idaho. I have installed/fabricated dual exhausts on just about every brand of car that was made prior to 1955.
In the real world, headers are intended to be ran as a open exhaust on performance engines, generally speaking headers do not start to do their job until the engine gets above 3,000 RPM's.. Stock cast iron manifolds with 2" pipes and low restriction mufflers will improve performance to it's best level for a stock, or near stock level engine.
The engine in my '36 is a 59AB that is well built, commonly referred to as 3/4 race in the good ole days. The engine has all of the good stuff, overbore, stroked, cam, carbs, ignition, lightened flywheel and stock '36 Ford log type exhaust manifolds. The mufflers are stock type chambered mufflers.
In 1953 I bought a set of Belond headers for the car, started to but them on, had trouble clearing the steering gears, they have been hanging on the garage wall every since.
Many people confuse noise with power, taint so, yes it can sound neat, but in reality fuel mileage goes down because the driver cant keep his foot out of the throttle.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10386