Topic: 37 Dome Light cleaning

1937sedandelivery    -- 12-31-2016 @ 9:06 AM
  Hello,
I recently purchased a pair of original 37 Dome Lights, knowing that they were in need of restoration. Now that I have them, I am not sure how to clean up the glass domes. I don't expect to make the glass like new, but I do want to remove the rust stains that have accumulated around the periphery where the bezel is. Please see attached photo.
Any recommendations on a cleaner/cleaning method?

I do plan to remove the glass from the bezel, just haven't attempted that yet.

Thanks,
Gregg

trjford8    -- 12-31-2016 @ 10:47 AM
  In all probability those lenses are plastic. On those I use a tooth brush with some biodegradable cleaner like Simple Green or Fantastic. if the stains are really tough you can use triple O steel wool with the same cleaners. If you need to de-rust the bodies, rims and retainer rings, put them in a small container with white vinegar. Takes about a week but they come out nice and clean.

1937sedandelivery    -- 12-31-2016 @ 1:27 PM
  Super. I will give the domes a scrubbing. I think they are glass or ceramic of some kind, not sure though.
The metal pieces are in really bad, rusty condition. Good tip on de-rusting them, I will give them a week to soak.
Thanks!
gregg

TomO    -- 01-01-2017 @ 9:05 AM
  Detail spray also does a good job of removing stains. If just spraying them and rubbing with a cloth does not remove the stains, use the spray with a clay bar.

Tom

1937sedandelivery    -- 01-01-2017 @ 6:49 PM
  Thanks Tom.
I have never used (nor heard of) Detail spray, but I googled it and see Adam's Detail Spray from Summit Racing with very high reviews. I will put that on my Summit $99 list for next order.
gregg

TomO    -- 01-02-2017 @ 10:43 AM
  Local auto parts houses usually carry several brands of detail spray. Meguiers, Mothers, Eagle One and 303 are some of the brands that I have seen locally. I prefer Meguiers products, but others are probably just as good if not better.

Tom

1937sedandelivery    -- 01-20-2017 @ 9:01 AM
  Hi trjford8,
Am circling back to close the loop.
The lens are plastic and in pretty good shape. A little Fantastic cleaning/brushing and they look almost as good as new. The lamp housings were rusted very badly, but the vinegar did the trick. It exposed several rusted through holes that now, should work nicely to provide some heat ventilation! The retainer spring on the wire that contacts the bulb end was gone so I had to fabricate something, it keeps constant pressure on the contact surfaces.
So, all is good and the dome lamp is back together in excellent condition.
Thanks for the tips.
Gregg

trjford8    -- 01-21-2017 @ 8:12 AM
  Gregg, glad I all worked for you. Thanks for getting back to us.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10384