Topic: 1948 Ford under hood light question

Ritzy1    -- 12-24-2016 @ 4:02 AM
  I am restoring a '48 Ford tudor sedan and am looking for some assistance with something mounted to the firewall that looks like it may be an under hood light. I have attached a picture. Could someone tell me if that is indeed what it is and, if so, how it is wired/activated?

Thanks, Dave

This message was edited by Ritzy1 on 12-28-16 @ 2:53 AM

kubes40    -- 12-24-2016 @ 6:14 AM
  I can't, off the top of my head, recall exactly where the wire is attached but do recall the wire is "hot" and when the hood is opened, the "plunger" moves upward and creates continuity within the switch. Subsequently, the bulb glows.
This is a factory authorized accessory.

woodiewagon46    -- 12-24-2016 @ 6:30 AM
  The Ford accessory book gives this description of the light."A rubber cushioned spring type switch gives fully automatic operation- when the hood goes up the light comes on- when the hood is lowered the light goes off. The reflector is coated with a special light reflecting finish, and the 15 candlepower bulb assures ample illumination. The lamp can be quickly installed with the self tapping screws that are supplied and the lead wires can be tapped into starting switch, voltage regulator or any hot wire". It does not say if the switch is part of the lamp assembly. If it isn't then there must be a switch located in the engine compartment. Hope this info helps.

Ritzy1    -- 12-25-2016 @ 3:50 AM
  Thank you for your responses gentlemen. I'll need to look further to see if I can find evidence of a switch anywhere. I see a tab on the cowl that would contact the hood when it is closed, perhaps that is part of the switching mechanism.

trjford8    -- 12-25-2016 @ 8:00 AM
  Some of those lights had a mercury type switch.

blarge    -- 12-25-2016 @ 6:32 PM
  I have an installation diagram for this Ford under hood light I will email you. Send me a request message to my email blarge@comcast.net

Drbrown    -- 12-25-2016 @ 7:51 PM
  I've seen these once or twice on eBay. Might be a manual switch. I recall "old henry" having one and think it is stock. PM him about it.

This message was edited by Drbrown on 12-25-16 @ 7:52 PM

supereal    -- 01-02-2017 @ 1:38 PM
  The original underhood light, and the trunk light, used a mercury switch in the lamp socket to run the light. They were a dealer install accessory. Most were eventually removed as either the mercury switch didn't work, or stayed on, causing the car battery to run down. Since mercury has been classified as a dangerous substance, they are mostly extinct.

Old Henry    -- 01-02-2017 @ 8:16 PM
  My NOS light came with the plunger switch but it would drain my battery with my hood up all day for car shows so I added the toggle switch to turn it off and on with. See photo attached.

Ritzy1    -- 01-03-2017 @ 5:08 PM
  Interesting. I'll need to see what's inside to see if I can get it to work.

engine    -- 01-12-2017 @ 8:07 AM
  I have one on my 40 pickup and it has a toggle switch, I have it wired to my starter solinoid hot side. It has come in handy at night a couple of times.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10364