Topic: 6/12 volt battery charger with start

runningon8    -- 12-11-2016 @ 2:23 PM
  I am looking for a good 6/12 volt battery charger that also has a start feature. I have read that some are too hot and will boil away the electrolyte. I just need an all around good charger that will go from trickle all the way to full start on 6 volt in case I am dead on one of the other cars. Trying to avoid buying multiple chargers. Both cars are 6 volt systems. Any ideas?

TomO    -- 12-12-2016 @ 8:34 AM
  IMHO any charger that will give you a boost start, will not be good to maintain the battery for long periods. You need a battery maintainer for that.

Schumacher makes most of the chargers sold in the US and the 6 volt ones seem to all be made in China. Do a google on battery chargers or go to Amazon and check them out.

Tom

runningon8    -- 12-12-2016 @ 3:25 PM
  Thanks Tom

mhsprecher    -- 12-12-2016 @ 3:36 PM
  I just bought a new one that was well reviewed, but when I got it I wished that I had bought a used one, assuming I could have found one. Made in China. It's a Speedway, but the brochure inside says NATI (North American Tool Industries) Model 7216. It had good reviews.

Drbrown    -- 12-12-2016 @ 9:32 PM
  In the 1930's my Dad, having married a year before the start of the (first) great depression, made his own 6 volt charger. To his advantage, he was an electrical engineer and loved to tinker. Sorry it got discarded after his death. Here we are some 85+ years later resurrecting 6 volt cars in the 21st century.

I have a 40 year old Sears 6/12 volt charger and still buy acid batteries so I can use it and not have to buy a new kind of charger.

Check estate and garage sales for a used charger. Someone out there must be passing-along an old geezer's charger. Also, would think the transformer of a 12 volt charger could be "tapped" to add a 6 volt connection.

roadster36    -- 12-12-2016 @ 11:19 PM
  I purchased one of the Schumacher chargers off of EBAY and am very pleased with it. It is 6/12 volt with a couple of the options. It was very reasonable compared to the one's I looked at locally. I had one of the smaller units that worked OK but needed to step up to a larger unit.

39 Ken    -- 12-13-2016 @ 5:16 AM
  A few years ago I bought a Sears, Die Hard Battery Charger/Engine Starter.
#28-71225
Here is how it's described on the box:
6 and 12 volt batteries
For precise charging and monitoring of automotive,
AGM, gel cell, and deep cycle batteries
80 amp engine start
30 amp rapid charge
12 amp fast charge
2 amp slow charge
Float-Mode Monitoring

Any time I've used it, it performed well but I haven't had the opportunity
to use all the features.

fordv8j    -- 12-13-2016 @ 7:09 AM
  I ad a Ford script battery on my 38 conv, I put a Schumacer battery tender on it, didn't check it for a while, supposed to be automatic, when I checked it the battery was boiled dry, the tender hadn't shut off, put new acid in it , it would never charge up and start the car. called the company, they said all they could was to repair the charger if Iwould send it postpaid,I asked what about my battery, they said they were sorry for my luck, I didn't send it to them, expensive lesson..so you better not leave your tender unattended

51f1    -- 12-14-2016 @ 6:53 AM
  I have a Schumacher XC75W charger/starter that I am pleased with. It charges 6 or 12 volts and std, AGM or gel type batteries. It is fully automatic. It's outputs are 3 amp (maintain), 5 amp, 20 amp and 75 amp (starting). When attached to a battery, it indicates the % of full charge and the voltage available. Of course, it's made in Mexico.

Richard

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10338