Topic: possible scammer

ken ct.    -- 12-01-2016 @ 9:21 AM
  Anybody have dealings with a james shelhart, wants to buy my parts on here by check and have a transporter person pick up the parts at my home ,NO way jose. I told him I don't do business that way. Hasen't emailed back with another after 5 in a row about my stuff. If it smells its most likely fishie. Beware of this guy. ken ct.

woodiewagon46    -- 12-01-2016 @ 10:36 AM
  Ken , unfortunately in this day and age, I agree that I don't want anyone coming to my residence, if I don't know them. If the parts are small enough why not offer to meet his transporter somewhere highly visible and ONLY if he has cash, and see what he says. Yes, It sounds like a scam.

ken ct.    -- 12-01-2016 @ 1:05 PM
  I already wrote him off hasen't replied for some hours now.I guess he got the message. ken ct. Thanks for the same opinion.

runningon8    -- 12-01-2016 @ 5:41 PM
  Yes, everytime I put an item on Craigslist especially I'll get an email from a scammer that wants to buy whatever I have sight unseen. One even gave me the email to his father that wanted a car I had. He ask a few questions, insisted he needed my paypal email address so he could send money. Gave him my phone number as I said same thing, I don't do business that way. Guess what, never called. Some are so stupid they use the same email address! So beware...

Hal    -- 12-19-2016 @ 10:07 AM
  hey ken ct.
I also have some parts for sale. I was contacted by james shelhart.
He would send a transporter with a check, and pick up my parts. I
said o.k. but he wouldn't get the parts until I cashed the check.
Haven't heard from him since. Told me he lived in Wash. D.C.
Can't figure out how he'd have a transporter here in Utah.
Totally a scam. Hal

transporter

trjford8    -- 12-19-2016 @ 11:18 AM
  These guys are working all the sites. Whether you are a seller or buyer you have to be aware. If it doesn't sound right trust your instinct or ask for another opinion.

oldasi    -- 12-20-2016 @ 3:37 AM
  Believe I ran across a scammer, posted for inner fender panels, got a reply from following ..crowngail3@gmail.com they had sent me pictures of the items copied from a catalog, kept telling me they were what I was looking for, numerous emails back and forth, some got nasty, finally asked for a picture of the parts with a hand written sign that says, "inner panels '36 pickup", said hed send never got anything, then I started getting emails from others, all had gmail.com address's, how stupid can some be. If buying ask for a picture as described above, least you'll know if they have the part but still you cant be assured your going to get it. There should be a spot on here and the BARN where we can list by email address any scammers we find.

cliftford    -- 12-20-2016 @ 7:37 AM
  Here is a favorite scam line in our neck of the woods: "I am deaf-mute and cannot communicate by telephone"

1937sedandelivery    -- 12-20-2016 @ 7:43 AM
  Ditto for me. I also received an email from CrownGail and it turned out to be a scam. Here is our initial exchange:

"Hello,How you doing?Saw your AD on
the club. Have yougotten any?If yes,
Good luck. But if not gotten any,
I’d love to let mine go for affordable price,
it’s
in good condition.Hope you
are a seriousbuyer? Cause I don’t want a
time waster. Or game player.
Thanks
"

Buyer beware!

oldasi    -- 12-21-2016 @ 4:00 AM
  CLIFTFORD, that's exactly what Crowngail told me, word for word ...........

I am deaf-mute and cannot communicate by telephone

Stroker    -- 12-21-2016 @ 5:24 PM
  Some years ago, I was looking for some splash aprons for my 38. Like many, I got photo's of the "needed item", and an assurance that the vendor had what I was looking for. The vendor had an address in London, so I went to Google Maps and pulled-up a "Street View" of the location. It turned out to be a "Walk-up" in an Islamic neighborhood. I have since discovered that the "perps" are from middle-eastern countries that "monitor" this site along with many others. They don't "do" Pay Pal, and will only take Money Orders. BEWARE.

jretter    -- 02-12-2017 @ 7:51 PM
  Haven't heard of this guy, but I hear from plenty of others every time I post a "Parts Wanted" ad. In fact, I don't expect to place any more ads on the V8 Club website, because I seem to get nothing but spammers responding. The latest was from a Gavin Blau, claiming to be in the UK, responding to my ad about bumpers for a 34. His wording was typically poor English, which was the immediate suspicion. I sent back a response saying I was still looking, so he sent me 3 photos of a pretty-decent, and complete 34 2dr, obviously taken somewhere in the US desert southwest, and claimed he was "parting it out" and to let him know what I wanted. I then asked him what was the condition of the "rumble seat" and "trunk lid", and he said they were "good". I told him he failed the test. For the first time, the spammer was not using gmail, but juno instead.

hardtop25    -- 02-16-2017 @ 6:55 PM
  jretter is correct. My systems have generally never received phishing scams until I used 'parts wanted' on this website. Ever since all manner of outright and suspect proposals have come through email and phone. Some very sophisticated appearing to be from vendors I do use.

This message was edited by hardtop25 on 2-16-17 @ 7:35 PM

fordv8j    -- 02-17-2017 @ 1:13 PM
  A guy named Paul e mailed me about some parts I have advertised, said he wanted them. I sent him my address and told him to send a postal money order, I would send them by mail..he e-mailed me back said he would a check for more than my parts, I was to cash it take my payment out, give the remainder to the guy that would pick up the parts, to pay the other people he had bought from around here. I told him to forget it ...I didn't need to sell them, haven't heard from him sence...SCAM????

trjford8    -- 02-18-2017 @ 8:05 AM
  Scammers are everywhere, not just on this site. They especially hit want ad sections on the car sites. Just be on your toes and if you don't feel good about it, don't do it. If you stop posting on sites that have occasional scammers you may miss the good seller who has what you need.

cliftford    -- 02-18-2017 @ 9:58 AM
  Clue #1: poor grammer, clue#2, they seem to know little about the item being bought or sold, clue #3, a third party is involved.

kubes40    -- 02-18-2017 @ 11:53 AM
  Cliftford, That describes a few of the guys within this very same thread. Am I to be aware of them as possible scammers?

cliftford    -- 02-18-2017 @ 5:58 PM
  That's up to you, but from my experience, If I don't know any thing about a client, these things raise a red flag.

oldasi    -- 02-23-2017 @ 3:12 PM
  We should have a Topic Title on here, something like ''These guys are scammers" and when you run across one you show the name and email address, lets do something to stop them, get them off this site

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10315