Topic: 1934 Ford Cabriolet electrical problem.

JDBenner    -- 11-27-2016 @ 2:03 PM
  I need some input on how best to proceed on solving this problem. My car was running well until I took it out one day and it started backfiring out the exhaust. and seemed to lack the usual power. I thought maybe the timing adjustment had come loose, but that proved wrong .The problem got worse until the car quit running at all. I discovered I was getting no spark. I found power to where the wire goes into the distributor so I suspect an electrical problem with either the coil or points. Before tearing in to that area I thought it would be good to get some advice from more experienced people. My first thought was to check and/or replace the coil. I noticed that rebuilt coils are quite expensive and there are kits to adapt a more conventional coil. I was hoping to keep the car mostly stock but maybe the kit is the better way . Thoughts? If it looks like the points are at fault is there anybody that can set up these distributors or convert them to pointless. Also, is it advisable to have the #1 piston in firing position before pulling the distributor? Thanks to all who respond. I value your opinions.

1934 Ford    -- 11-27-2016 @ 4:02 PM
  Sounds like your coil and a weak distributor to me.
Take the Distributor off and sent it to Skip Haney in Punta Gorda FL. He can put a modern coil in your old Ford Scrip coil and points in your distributor ans set it up on his Sun Machine. (Forget the adapter plate, it's only a band-aid)
You'll find his add in the Early Ford V8 Times or email him at skip@Fordsrus.com
I'm still driving on Glidden Tours with two cars on distributors he did for me 13 years ago.
Happy Motoring.
P. S, He does water pumps too.

1934 Ford's since 1972

TomO    -- 11-28-2016 @ 8:25 AM
  I would try replacing the condenser first. If that did not fix the problem, send the coil and distributor to Skip Haney as 1934Ford suggested.

The dual point system on the stock Ford distributor is better than any electronic or pointless systems currently on the market, so I would stay with that. The points usually last more than 15,000 miles when set up properly.

The adapter plates do work, but they are not much of a savings over a rebuilt coil (About $60 plus shipping for coil and adapter, $83 for rebuilt) and do not look as neat as the stock setup.

Tom

JDBenner    -- 11-28-2016 @ 2:08 PM
  Thanks to both. Just what I needed to know.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10307