Topic: Ford 1949-50 VIN identification

Thomas.G    -- 11-23-2016 @ 6:18 AM
  I am in the process of purhasing an 1950 Stationwagon and make my very best to bring it back to life.
The VIN is a bit of a mystery to me so I thought I could ask you guys for some clues.

It starts with BOK followed by six digits.
If I have undesrstod things correct, the B stands for V8 but I can not get any info about the two last characters "OK".

Any thoughts?

Big Red 51    -- 11-23-2016 @ 7:08 AM
  Thomas, In the late 1949 and early 1950 models , the cowl codes(serial numbers) came in up to 18 varieties and bad stampings. However, your BOK is most likely B for V8, O for 1950, and next should be assembly plant, KC would be Kansas City followed by 6 production numbers. You should check the top of the frame rail in front under the coil area for a stamping and see what you get there. Those cowl stamps where very sloppy for a while.
You really get a 49 to '50 Restorer's Guide book from the V8 Club which explains the markings in more detail. Check the online store on this site. Station Wagon bodies had some different markings than cars about that time.
Good Luck, Don

Thomas.G    -- 11-23-2016 @ 11:08 AM
  Thank you for sharing this information Big Red 51.

Thomas.G    -- 11-23-2016 @ 2:17 PM
  I might be totally wrong but after doing some research on my own I feel pretty convinced that the " K " stands for Kingsford ( Michigan ) aka " Iron Mountain" wich was a plant were station wagons were built.
But as I wrote to start with, I might be wrong...

42wagon    -- 11-23-2016 @ 3:15 PM
  According to Lorin Sorensen's book "Famous Ford Woodies" Iron Mountain only built station wagon bodies. They were shipped to the usual assembly plants to be mated with a chassis. No complete cars were ever built at Iron Mountain.

I do not believe that Ford ever referred to the plant as Kingsford. It was always known as Iron Mountain.

trjford8    -- 11-23-2016 @ 3:27 PM
  The VIN of your car, which is what is used by your DMV, is found on top of the frame brace that runs from the right frame rail to the front crossmember just under the radiator. Check for that number which is the most accurate for identification purposes.

Thomas.G    -- 11-24-2016 @ 3:52 AM
  Thank you for sharing this information, much appreciated.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10298