Topic: 53 sunliner top operation problem

53mike    -- 11-20-2016 @ 6:33 PM
  Put the power top down went to car show and put top up as normal but I noticed a clicking noise on the short drive home, turns out the power top motors were clicking (slight movement from both) the up/down switch would not work in either direction and I had to disconnect the battery to stop the motor clicking. Looking at each motor you can see a slight movement when the click occurs, for some reason power is supplied momentarily. No response at switch, disconnected switch and no change to clicking. Not sure where power is fed to motors that up/down switch would be out of the picture. Any help is greatly appreciated.
I ordered a wiring schematic but until I receive it does anyone know where the power source is coming from so I can disconnect the power that feeds the motors. I think it has to be from regulator but not certain.

This message was edited by 53mike on 11-21-16 @ 7:43 AM

TomO    -- 11-21-2016 @ 10:20 AM
  53mike,

Your problem is probably a stuck top motor relay. I have attached a copy of the wiring diagram with the relay circled.

You can view the wiring diagram at Mac Van Pelts web site.

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_partsdrawings_links.htm

Tom

53mike    -- 11-21-2016 @ 10:38 AM
  Thank you Sir. I'm a little confused why that diagram shows only one motor but now I can look for a relay. That was part of my problem, I couldn't find any limit switch or relay. Would you happen to know where it is physically located?

53mike    -- 11-21-2016 @ 10:47 AM
  Well at least I know what it looks like, saw a picture of one online. Plus I know the power comes from the solenoid. Saw the wire leads for sale and if they're accurate it should be located in the rear area. The wire lead from the solenoid to the circuit breaker is 22" and the wire from the circuit breaker to the relay is 108" long. Do some more searching when I get home. Thanks again.

This message was edited by 53mike on 11-21-16 @ 12:05 PM

53mike    -- 11-21-2016 @ 5:07 PM
  TomO you saved the day. Found all the components under the rear seat. A few swift taps from a screwdriver unstuck the relay, works again. Thank you very much.

53mike    -- 11-21-2016 @ 6:49 PM
  I suppose my next question should be : does anyone rebuild these relays?

trjford8    -- 11-22-2016 @ 8:35 AM
  53mike, since you have a '53 and may have more questions, I would suggest that you purchase the 52-53 Ford book put out by the Early Ford V-8 Club. You can purchase it from this site on the front page and it's a great two volume book that can help you with your '53 .

TomO    -- 11-23-2016 @ 8:53 AM
  You might be able to salvage your relay by prying the up tabs that hold the cover on, to release the cover and then clean the contacts with a fine burnishing blade. Add a drop of light oil (3 in 1 oil) to each pivot point and reinstall the cover.

You can find the burnishing blade at an electronics store.

Baxter Ford in Lawrence KS may be able to service the relay for you. Give them a call

(785) 842-9256

Tom

53mike    -- 11-23-2016 @ 10:30 AM
  I'll wait and see if it happens again, at least now I know where every thing is located. Thanks for the info.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10294