Topic: head gasket

runningon8    -- 11-19-2016 @ 6:55 PM
  After thinking I had a stuck ring or valve it seems I have a blown head gasket. No compression on #3 cylinder and #2 has bubbles around plug even after replacing and tightening plugs. I see bubbles in radiator too.I have no water in crankcase or steam in exhaust. Does this sound like a blown head gasket? I know these engines have a tendency to blow them if this is what I have what are the best gaskets to replace and who carries them?

alanwoodieman    -- 11-19-2016 @ 7:26 PM
  what year or style of engine? 21 stud, A, 59A, 8BA?

runningon8    -- 11-23-2016 @ 5:45 AM
  21 stud, 1936 LB. I had one mechanic tell me it maybe a valve thats too tight. The engine only has 3k on it since rebuild in 93 and had adjustable lifters put back in it.

cliftford    -- 11-23-2016 @ 9:55 AM
  I believe you have two problems that are not necessarily related. On the leaky spark plug look for roughness on the head sealing surface and clean as needed. As for the valve turn the crank until that cyl. is in firing position and put air [low pressure 10# or so] into the spark plug hole and it will blow air out the intake or out the exhaust if a valve is not closing. If it tries to turn the crankshaft, it is not a valve. Loosen radiator cap. If it blows air into the cooling system, it is probably a head gasket.

1934 Ford    -- 11-27-2016 @ 4:12 PM
  It could also be that your head is not flat enough to prevent seapage past the head gasket. The problem is you said "No compression on #3" None or just a lot lower? Makes a BIG difference.

1934 Ford's since 1972

runningon8    -- 11-28-2016 @ 4:19 AM
  No compression at all on 3.

1934 Ford    -- 11-28-2016 @ 8:31 AM
  That sounds like a valve not closing. Most gasket leaks still have enough compression to force the air and gas out someplace else. Sounds like it's time to pull the head and see what's wrong in #3.

1934 Ford's since 1972

cliftford    -- 11-28-2016 @ 10:00 AM
  I agree with 1934 ford. A valve not closing is most likely the problem.

runningon8    -- 11-28-2016 @ 3:51 PM
  The engine was rebuilt in 93 and has only 3k on it since then. I'm getting more info pointing to a valve issue. I can see them open and close through the spark plug hole but obviously one isn't closing completely. The mechanic who rebuilt it put adjustable lifters back in it. I know this sounds stupid but to fix this problem in these flatheads do you have to get to them by pulling head or can they be adjusted by pulling the intake to get to the valve train?

cliftford    -- 11-28-2016 @ 9:45 PM
  If it's just a matter of valve adjustment, you only need to pull the manifold. If it's not closing for any other reason you will need to pull the head too. Have you thought about a possible broken valve spring?

runningon8    -- 11-30-2016 @ 6:02 AM
  I can see both valves move up and down but I guess if I had a broken spring it would still move but not completely sealing. Sounds like the manifold will have to come off to see whats going on.

TomO    -- 11-30-2016 @ 6:50 AM
  After you remove the intake manifold, look to make sure that all of the guide keepers are fully seated.

Tom

runningon8    -- 01-16-2017 @ 3:25 PM
  After much research on the no compression issue it turned out it was an out of adjustment intake valve, finally found a mechanic close to home that took off the intake and head on that side. Although I know he only needed to take off the intake to adjust valves he wanted to be sure there wasn't something else going on. The valve was so loose you could turn it with your hand. Most were out of adjustment. Thanks for the advice guys. Runs like a different car!

This message was edited by runningon8 on 1-16-17 @ 3:26 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10289