Topic: new v8 ford owner

davidlove    -- 11-16-2016 @ 10:23 AM
  Ever since I was a kid, I loved the cars of the 1930s. My favorite being the 1934 Ford fordor sedan. At age 51, I am finally the proud owner of one.
Now for my dilemma... I know very, very little about cars. I have been having a great time driving around town and have become fairly comfortable with the handling of the car. I know, however, there is much more to maintaining the car versus the cars today. I would appreciate any advice that would help me along. I have been soaking up as much information as I can by reading, youtube and becoming a member of this club along with other publications but still feel woefully incompetent in taking car of this car.
Thanking you in advance,

David

CharlieStephens    -- 11-16-2016 @ 11:06 AM
  David,

The first thing you need to do is put your general location and email into your profile. Otherwise you will have people telling you to put antifreeze in your radiator instead of water soluble oil not realizing that you live in Southern California. You will have people recommending excellent machine shops in Southern California not realizing you live in Florida. You will have good swap meets recommended in Oregon by people not realizing you live in Maine. Or people just won't say anything (which is just as bad). You should buy the clubs book for the year of your car: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/Shop.cfm?id=17&pid=2 and join a regional club (or at least attend a couple of meetings to check them out). Good luck and enjoy your car.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 11-16-16 @ 11:08 AM

woodiewagon46    -- 11-16-2016 @ 11:14 AM
  David, first of all welcome to the V-8 Ford Club. You don't say where you are located but I'm sure there is a chapter of the club near you. I would join that chapter and most of the members would be willing to help you. Unfortunately the club doesn't list a book for the '34 Ford but when it is available I would highly recommend purchasing it. A good grease gun is a must. Change the oil regularly and maintain all the fluids. Probably the most complicated thing you will run into is changing the points and wires. You might need help on those items but once you see how it's done it is fairly easy. There are several books on how to maintain the mechanical brakes and once they are adjusted properly they don't require much service. This site is a wealth of information and everyone is willing to help with any problem. Don't be afraid to ask!!!

MG    -- 11-16-2016 @ 11:34 AM
  woodiewagon46 said: "Unfortunately the club doesn't list a book for the '34 Ford but when it is available I would highly recommend purchasing it."

How do you justify this statement given the Clubs excellent '33-'34/Model 40 Restoration Manual? See: > https://www.earlyfordv8.org/Shop.cfm?id=17&pid=2

David....Can you post a picture of your '34 Sedan?

This message was edited by MG on 11-16-16 @ 11:55 AM

davidlove    -- 11-16-2016 @ 11:44 AM
  Thank you Charlie. I did update my information so hopefully that will help with regional advice. For the record, I live in Suffolk, VA.

davidlove    -- 11-16-2016 @ 11:49 AM
  Thank you Woodiewagon and MG. I have a contact that is in the car restoration business that has been helpful, but is quite busy.

efv8CofAAdmin    -- 11-16-2016 @ 1:47 PM
  Again -- welcome to the Club.
Like others have said --- take the time and purchase the 1933-1934 Ford Book that the Club has produced.

Second -- there is a great Regional Group out that way --- Northern Virginia RG # 96 They are even hosting the 2017 Eastern National Meet in Chantilly VA June 7 -11

Other Regional Groups in the area can be found by clicking on Regional Club Directory.
You can check out the information under Upcoming Events from the Menu on the left column main page

It is a great way to meet Members and also pick up lots of information about your vehicle from others that have the same year.

Web Administrator

This message was edited by efv8CofAAdmin on 11-16-16 @ 8:09 PM

woodiewagon46    -- 11-16-2016 @ 3:23 PM
  Sorry to get you so upset MG, the listing I have does not include the '33-'34 book, it said that it's "soon to be published". That's how I "justify" it.

efv8CofAAdmin    -- 11-16-2016 @ 3:35 PM
  There is the 1933-1934 Ford Book for sale on the Online Store. Great book.

Now, the quantities are becoming limited, so there is a new re-write being worked on -- due date unknown at this time.

Web Administrator

FordFreak    -- 11-16-2016 @ 8:20 PM
  Welcome aboard , David !

1934 Ford    -- 11-17-2016 @ 7:16 AM

Welcome David,
In addition to the 1933-1934 Ford Restoration Guide. I highly recommend the use of the "Search" feature of this Forum. Some of our Forum members have been 34 Ford guys for decades and share what they have learned over the years. Besides the "Search" feature, the old issues of the Early Ford V8 Times are loaded with informative information and diagrams pictures.
Another source to watch and search is the Ford Barn Forum, http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4
While I don't claim to be a 1934 Ford expert, I have owned at least one or more for the past 44 years and have posted here and written for the Early Ford V8 Times when I though I had interesting information to share. Fortunately many of our members do the same.
I commend your choice of the 1934 Fordor, a good choice for a fast, fun, durable antique car.

1934 Ford's since 1972

davidlove    -- 11-17-2016 @ 7:58 AM
  Thank you for the link and the warm welcome. I'm sure I will be back with questions. I will also look into the Virginia clubs.

TomO    -- 11-18-2016 @ 8:14 AM
  Welcome David,

I would like to see some photos of your 1934 Ford. They have great styling and are one of my favorite Fords. You can only post one photo per reply.

On the home page of this site, there is a searchable index of V-8 Times articles. You could search that for articles and tech advice, that may interest you.

Some back issues can be purchased from the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum. The purchase price helps pay some of the operating expenses of the Museum.

http://www.fordv8foundation.org/

They just did a ceremonial ground breaking for the new addition.

I would like to add my support to the idea of joining a Regional Group. Besides getting together to enjoy Fords, you can also get some good advice on how to maintain your Ford and some places to help you do this.

Tom

mhsprecher    -- 11-19-2016 @ 3:34 AM
  It looks like there is a chapter in the Richmond area. I am sure they will welcome you as a new member. To my eyes the 33-34 are the most handsome 1930's Fords. I wish I could afford one!

MICHV8    -- 11-19-2016 @ 5:41 AM
  woodiewagon46:
change the source of your "list" as it cannot be justified as useful...that's all MG meant.

This message was edited by MICHV8 on 11-19-16 @ 5:43 AM

davidlove    -- 11-22-2016 @ 9:03 AM
  Thank you all for the input. I will try to get a pic up as soon as I figure out how to do it. I'm also a bit challenged in the technology department. By the way, any winterizing tips. The car will be garage kept, but not climate controlled. I live in Suffolk, VA which is near the coast. We have relatively mild winters, but not uncommon to have a cold snap or two.

nelsb01    -- 11-22-2016 @ 2:58 PM
  Winter tips --
Change the oil if you are not sure about how many miles or months are on it.
If you do not have a 50/50 antifreeze mix in the radiator, I would change to that or drain the whole system.
The fuel system is open to discussion. I know my vehicles so I fill to the top with non-oxy gas with Yamaha Sta-lub marine gas stabilizer. If you are not sure as to the condition of your gas tank, then at least add a gallon with stabilizer (a little extra for what is in the tank already)
Disconnect the battery. Remove the battery to a warmer spot. A battery tender is not a bad thing to purchase.
Add a air freshner to the interior. I use a Renuzit brand -- something like fresh rain works good and doesn't smell up the car.
To save the tires, I jack the car up and set it on jack stands. Just enough to get the rubber off the ground. Put the jack stands under the front and rear axle.
If you were not able to wash the vehicle before storing, do not cover. The dust and grime will just make the cover a fine piece of sandpaper to the paint. If the vehicle has been cleaned, then a cover will keep winter dust and etc off the paint.

Hope this helps -- I am sure there will be other suggestions.

davidlove    -- 11-23-2016 @ 11:27 AM
  Thank you for the help. That will be at the top of the list of the things I have to do this weekend. Pic of car is below.

This message was edited by davidlove on 11-23-16 @ 11:28 AM

trjford8    -- 11-23-2016 @ 3:32 PM
  Welcome to the V-8 Club and that is one nice looking fordor sedan.

1934 Ford    -- 11-23-2016 @ 7:02 PM

Nice looking 34 Ford Fordor. Painted the same color as the Bonnie & Clyde death car. Like mine, yours appears to be a 34 Standard with Deluxe trim added in the restoration. The dual chrome horns, cowl lights, second tail light on the right side and Deluxe only single color appear to enhance the car well.
The interior window moldings are Standard with the straight bottoms. The Deluxe models were wood grained and the Standard were painted. To tell for sure if it's Standard or Deluxe, check to see if the cigar lighter is in a recessed dimple in the dash. If no lighter or dimple, it started out as a Standard model.
The Deluxe also had a chrome windshield frame and the Standard was painted.
The good news is they both had that wonderful 221 cubic inch flathead engine with Stromberg 48 2 barrel carburetor producing 85 HP. Yea-Ha!

Make sure the engine, transmission, rear end & steering box are well lubricated, test you mechanical brakes for even skip on a dirt driveway and the have a ball with that car. We load friends in it every chance we get and go for rides in the country.

Off to the Christmas Parade

1934 Ford's since 1972

davidlove    -- 11-24-2016 @ 8:20 AM
  Yours is a beautiful car as well. Looks like you have a great time with it. I hope to show mine in local shows and parades as well. I am trying to find someone who can work with me on the car one on one so I can do the things you and others have mentioned.
Mine is definitely a standard model.
Happy Thanksgiving giving to all.

mhsprecher    -- 11-24-2016 @ 3:06 PM
  A gorgeous example of one of the most beautiful cars ever built!

davidlove    -- 11-25-2016 @ 9:31 AM
  Can I use synthetic oil in the car?

MG    -- 11-25-2016 @ 12:40 PM
  davidlove said: "Can I use synthetic oil in the car?"

Yes you can, David. I use Mobil 1 15W50 in my '34 Fordor Sedan and have been doing so for the past 10 years....

1934 Ford    -- 11-25-2016 @ 5:46 PM
  Yes, you may use whatever oil you like. Search the Forums and find that we all have choices and believe we are correct. I'm of the opinion that 20W50 is the perfect oil for these low tech low compression engines. I think the key is to change it as frequently and it gets dirty, others have other ideas. The choice is yours. I also use ethenol gas in the warm months with an additive and ethen0l-free in the winter with Marine Stabil. That's the beauty of this Forum. you can gather information a make your own choices.
In addition, I use the original mechanical brakes, Anti-freeze, a third brake light, glass packed dual mufflers, 6 volt electrical, Bias ply tires, seat belts & wired my cowl lamps as turn signals. These and other things are a sin for many V8er's, but its a driver and I feel better with my choices than theirs.
If you want to win the "best in the world trophy", follow the 1933-134 Restoration Guide, otherwise
pick an choose what you think suits you best. It's an attractive car and the more you drive it the more you'll love it.

1934 Ford's since 1972

davidlove    -- 11-28-2016 @ 11:32 AM
  What do you use for the transmission and how often do you change it?

1934 Ford    -- 11-28-2016 @ 6:30 PM
  There is a drain plug on the bottom of the transmission and a check & fill plug on the right side.
There is a transmission fluid discussion on the forum if you search. Take a look at it on you finger before you drain it. (It's pretty thick and real gooey) I use 85-140 gear lube available at any parts store, but Ford called for 600 (The numbering system has changed and oils are better 80 years after they wrote that)
Look on ebay.com for this book, I've been using my copy for over 40 years on many different year Ford Flatheads, Tells you how to do fun stuff.
Ford Early V-8 Service Manual Cars & Trucks 32-50 - Clymer Publications.
If there is a better book, I'm sure someone will tell us.
Paul

1934 Ford's since 1972

davidlove    -- 11-29-2016 @ 8:31 AM
  Great information. I will order the book. Thanks again Paul.

David

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10276