Topic: Marvel Mystery Oil

runningon8    -- 11-10-2016 @ 7:34 PM
  I was talking to a mechanic that rebuilds old Ford engines for years from T models to flathead v8's and swears by Marvel Mystery oil and putting in 1 qt along with 4 qts of oil. I read and talked to a Lucas tech and he recommended using Lucas 10w30 hot rod and classic oil because of the higher zddp content. My question is if I use that weight or most any weight and adding Marvel to it I would think it would thin the oil out too much since the tolerances are not very close on these old v8's. Mine is the LB engine and I assume these are flat tappit engines. Anybody have an opinion on Marvel and what weight oil to use that has sufficent zddp?

This message was edited by runningon8 on 11-10-16 @ 7:40 PM

carcrazy    -- 11-10-2016 @ 8:44 PM
  The oil I use in a 1953 Ford is a mixture of detergent Pennzoil SAE 30 API Service SN (unfortunately the SL oil I previously used is no longer available) and 8 ounces of Red Line Engine Oil Break-In Additive which contains the required amount of ZDDP additive to reduce wear.

ken ct.    -- 11-10-2016 @ 9:26 PM
  Read the bottle directions. I wouldn't use that much in the oil or gas tank. Maybe 1/2 pint to an oil change and 4 oz. to 10 gal. of gas. omo. ken ct.

runningon8    -- 11-11-2016 @ 3:19 AM
  I forgot to list in the post this is a 36 LB engine that was rebuilt about 20 years ago when car was restored and has only had about 4,000 miles put on it and I think I have a stuck oil ring on one cylinder as it fouls out. I know it could be something else going on but wanted to see if the Marvel would help loosen it up. One mechanic said it probably would free up once it is driven more.

This message was edited by runningon8 on 11-11-16 @ 3:21 AM

40 Coupe    -- 11-11-2016 @ 5:12 AM
  Since you have problems give the MMO a try. I would use the 1/4 ratio and use detergent motor oil multi-weight. Do put some miles on the car!

JT Ford    -- 11-11-2016 @ 8:09 AM
  I use MMO in the gas, 40z's to 10gal. I would not use a quart in the oil! As far as zinc, a flathead is fine with the amount in any good oil.

trjford8    -- 11-13-2016 @ 1:47 PM
  A quart of Marvel Mystery Oil in the crankcase is a recipe for disaster in my book. That is not a mechanic that I would trust to work on my car. I would only put a small amount as indicated by others in the gas when you fill the tank.

TomO    -- 11-14-2016 @ 8:27 AM
  1 quart MMO mixed with the 4 quarts of 10w-30 oil, used for 500 miles or less of daily driving, will not damage the engine. It will free up some stuck valves and is good for cleaning hydraulic lifters. The important part is to drive conservatively and for enough miles to warm the engine completely each time that you drive it.

Seafoam sprayed in the carburetor and added to the gas seems to do a better job of freeing stuck intake valves.

Tom

51f1    -- 11-25-2016 @ 6:51 PM
  Back in the '60s, we acquired a WW II Navy surplus Kohler engine - generator set, It had stuck valves which we quickly fixed with MMO. It does work.

Richard

This message was edited by 51f1 on 12-5-16 @ 8:19 PM

Greg58    -- 11-27-2016 @ 5:45 PM
  I would try rislone, it is designed to run with engine oil, and it works well. I had a local mechanic recommend using it in a van that developed a lifter tap, I changed the oil and filter and added 4 quarts oil and 1 quart rislone, in about 20 minutes of driving the lifter noise was gone. I continued to use it every other oil change for several years, probably put 20k miles on the van with no problems.

Greg

ken ct.    -- 11-27-2016 @ 9:49 PM
  I also used a qt. can of Rislone in a 70 Olds that had a clicking lifter and after an hour or so of driving the noise went away. Its does what it claims. ken ct.

supereal    -- 12-14-2016 @ 2:15 PM
  I think the biggest mystery is why anyone buys and uses it.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10262