Topic: front end issues

runningon8    -- 11-09-2016 @ 2:40 PM
  1936 fordor touring sedan. Steering is sloppy and have decided to repair it. When front end is jacked and hands on top and bottom of tire I have some play which I've been told that is kingpins. When I place hands at the 9 and 6 o'clock position I have a lot more which I guess are tie rods and/or needing adjustment on the steering box. Are there adjustments on the tie rods or any where else that can be tightened to remove the side to side movement? I have twice as much side to side than up and down. Any ideas would be appreciated. I have this feeling a complete front end rebuild is on the horizon. This is all stock with no modifications.

ken ct.    -- 11-09-2016 @ 4:50 PM
  Try replaceing the tie rods and the top to bottom play could be just a loose wheel bearing adj them and see how it is. ken ct OMO.

This message was edited by ken ct. on 11-9-16 @ 4:51 PM

trjford8    -- 11-09-2016 @ 5:06 PM
  No adjustments on tie rod ends or drag link ends. When the get worn you must replace them.

TomO    -- 11-10-2016 @ 9:04 AM
  Before replacing or adjusting anything, look to see where the side to side play is. It could be the drag link or tie rod ends or both.

Tom

woodiewagon46    -- 11-10-2016 @ 10:14 AM
  Other than your brakes your front end/steering is the most important safety issue on your car. Why not make a weekend project of it and replace all the tie rod ends. If the king pins are that sloppy chances are that the front end has never been rebuilt. The wear and movement you describe sounds like you need it. While you have the car up in the air also check out the spring shackles.

runningon8    -- 11-10-2016 @ 7:49 PM
  Thanks all, I would hate a tie rod come loose while going down the road. Rebuilding the front end is a bit over my ability and tools so I will have to find someone around to do it. Only couple guys I know where I live that would do that job.

This message was edited by runningon8 on 11-10-16 @ 7:50 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10254