Topic: 47 rear window seal trouble

ross49    -- 11-07-2016 @ 8:19 AM
  I had to remove my rear window seal in my 47 Ford to install a new headliner. I had no problem installing the original seal. I ordered a seal from Mac's and it was very difficult to install, very tight and ended up ripping at the bond. I then ordered a seal from Bob Drake and as I got to the corners the seal ripped on both sides. Any experience with recent rear window seals? Is this a manufacturing problem? I used a 1/8 inch nylon rope cord to lift inside seal. Is that too thick? Would like to hear other experience with suppliers of this item.

TomO    -- 11-07-2016 @ 8:36 AM
  You don't need a thick string to ease the seal from inside the car, but 1/8" should have been OK.

Did you follow the instructions on Van Pelts web site for installing the glass?

http://vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_glassinstall-40-46_pg9.htm

The seal should be strong enough to allow it to be pulled through unless your glass is cut too big.

Tom

ross49    -- 11-07-2016 @ 10:58 AM
  The Van pelts instructions describe installation of the glass from inside the car with the string in the outer grove. On the 47 the glass is installed from the outside while pulling the cord form the inner groove which is what I did both times. Maybe I'll try a thinner cord.

kubes40    -- 11-07-2016 @ 1:43 PM
  Not too long ago, I'd installed a rear glass to a 47 coupe. I had no issues. It was a Drake seal. I pulled the cord to the outside. Used plenty of glass cleaner as a lubricant. Oh, I too used 1/8" nylon cord.

len47merc    -- 11-08-2016 @ 4:05 AM
  ross49, not sure where your installation instructions came from but I again checked my modest reference library - (multiple Ford manuals - originals and reprints), on-line resources including Van Pelt that TomO referenced, this Forum, Dennis Carpenter (whose seals I cannot recommend) and Drake (whose seals I will recommend) and other Ford enthusiast colleagues - all direct installation of the rear window seal on a '47 (including '42-'48 minimum) as being from the inside out with the cord being pulled from the outside of the car.

I too have a '47 and in May earlier this year I removed and replaced the rear window seal per these instructions, pulling the cord from the outside, and like kubes40, had no issues (other than the poor fitment of the initial DC seal). I held the window in from the interior while my son pulled the cord slowly, smoothly and easily from the outside/rear. I had to repeat the process, removing the ill-fitting DC seal and replacing it with a Drake seal using the same steps and again it worked as described in all instructions without any damage to the (outer) seal/lip. I too used a 1/8" nylon cord and it worked perfectly.

One has to suspect your problem is likely associated with your attempting your reverse installation process. Repeating what others have said, you do not need a smaller (or larger) cord - 1/8" will work fine.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 11-8-16 @ 4:32 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10248