Topic: How to make Flathead run cooler?

carcrazy    -- 11-02-2016 @ 7:52 PM
  Recently my stock Flathead powered vehicle experienced overheating. When I mentioned this to someone who had worked on stock and modified Flathead V-8s for many years, he stated that the coolant temperatures normally run 100 degrees F higher than the outside temperatures! When traveling with outside temperatures over 100 degrees F, this could cause problems. Is there a way to make Flatheads run cooler?

joe b    -- 11-03-2016 @ 6:02 AM
  We need a little more info. What is the temperature that you say is over heating? Also, the circumstances..idling,steady drive etc.

carcrazy    -- 11-03-2016 @ 6:09 AM
  Going through the desert on the highway at 55 MPH uphill with the outside ambient temperature at 120 degrees F. The engine coolant temperature was 220 degrees F.
This is basically a stock car with 6V electrical system. What can be done to make it run cooler. When your coolant temperatures get as hot as ours did vaporlock becomes a problem.

cliftford    -- 11-03-2016 @ 7:11 AM
  Are you going by the original temp guage or do you have an after market guage?
the original is not all that accurate. The mechanical type guage is the best, in my opinion.

carcrazy    -- 11-03-2016 @ 7:21 AM
  Stewart-Warner mechanical water temperature gauge. Sending unit is in the engine water outlet elbow on the passenger side cylinder head.

TomO    -- 11-03-2016 @ 8:01 AM
  In those temperatures, you need more cooling capacity than we need in the upper Midwest.

If this is your 53 Ford, did you check the temperature drop across the radiator?

If you have not had the radiator professionally cleaned, that should be your first step also clean the block with vinegar.

Block off the lower water inlets and fill the block with vinegar, give the vinegar about 12 hours to do its job and then flush the block until no sediment or rust comes out. Because of the hot temperatures that you must operate the car, it probably would not hurt to repeat the procedure in order to make sure that you have a clean block. I would also place some kind of filter material I the coolant return hoses to catch any loose debris before it can plug you nice clean radiator.

If you have had it cleaned, the next step would be to have the radiator re-cored with a high capacity core with louvered fins. I would start contacting radiator shops in your area, to find one that has experience with antique cars and has had good results in finding solutions to their cooling problems.

Tom

carcrazy    -- 11-03-2016 @ 10:39 AM
  Tom,
Yes this is the '53 Ford. When I checked the temp drop across the radiator, before having it cleaned at a local radiator shop, it was about 15 degrees on one side and about 10 degrees on the other. Got the radiator back yesterday when I was told the radiator flows well and looks good. I will put it back in the car and make future checks on temperature drops across the radiator. Thanks for your suggestions and help.

cliftford    -- 11-03-2016 @ 12:18 PM
  You've probably already thought of this, but just in case: check your ignition timing and check to see that the distributor is advancing properly. I've seen the vacuum advance develop a leak and cause the engine to run retarded.

wmsteed    -- 11-04-2016 @ 9:27 AM
  The flat-head V8's were famous for running hot, over 200 degrees, in traffic and summer temp's. I lived in Vegas for over two years during the mid '50's, drove my '36 everyday to work and play.
Straight water in the radiator was not a good thing, boils at 212, a 50/50 mixture of water/coolant with thermostats to slow the flow down won't boil until it gets 230 or better. Yes I know, straight water is a better cooling medium, but not if if it boils away.
Modern coolant recovery systems are a real plus because they allow the coolant to expand into the recovery tank, being drawn back into the system as the engine cools instead of being expelled onto the ground.
An electric fuel pump as backup to push through a vapor lock is also a good idea.
Of course a clean radiator/block and proper engine tuning is also a must. Good water pumps is another factor that many people overlook. The new improved impellers that Skip uses are well worth their money.
I have a 2.5" aluminum radiator in my '39 with an electric fan. The thermostat is a 180. The car never runs above 200.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10232