Topic: Distributor vacuum plunger

Sneezer    -- 10-31-2016 @ 1:39 PM
  Will be installing the vacuum plunger in my crab distributor shortly.Should any lubricate be applied to the leather wear pad prior to installation?

ford38v8    -- 10-31-2016 @ 3:54 PM
  Motor oil works well. You may also turn the leather to insure the disc will not run in a previous rut.
Importantly, make sure there is no abrasive corrosion on the edge of the disc. Steel wool will clean it up.
Also, the vac brake's use today has changed from it's original intended use: It is no longer required to prevent engine ping, as gasoline octane has greatly improved over the years. Today, it's only use is to retard at idle, and advance soon beyond idle. Therefore, the adjustment is simply to prevent the disc from erratic uncontrolled bouncing, so just a little pressure from the leather brake is required.

Alan

This message was edited by ford38v8 on 10-31-16 @ 4:08 PM

ken ct.    -- 10-31-2016 @ 4:13 PM
  I have new leather pads that can be glued to the piston w/ yellow 3M adheasive Yes oil it up like above said. I can send you a few for the shipping.ken ct.

ford38v8    -- 10-31-2016 @ 9:50 PM
  There is no need to glue it on, it's not going to go anyplace.

Alan

ken ct.    -- 10-31-2016 @ 10:11 PM
  Alan,its impossible to find a punch the same size as the recess they go into. These are minutely smaller than the recess so need to be glued in. Ive been glueing them in for 20 yrs. and work perfectly. That comment of yours wasn't needed . ken ct Those who have received them for free appreciate them. OMO.

ford38v8    -- 10-31-2016 @ 11:12 PM
  Well Ken, after all the free publicity you've garnered from those free leathers, I think that my posting that leathers need not be glued serves a good purpose:
Why would anyone discard a perfectly good original, only to replace it with a repop that doesn't fit correctly?

Alan

ken ct.    -- 11-01-2016 @ 4:19 AM
  Well I guess somebody HAS to complain about something. Most ive seen have deteriated to garbage that's why they need replacing after 60 yrs of wear. Some are missing completely. God how did that happen worn right through the metal edge. Also they fit pretty darn well an work better than originals being flat on top not radiused like vendor bought repops. ken ct.

Sneezer    -- 11-01-2016 @ 4:47 PM
  Thanks for the replys. My question answered. Regards: Arnie

MG    -- 11-02-2016 @ 9:53 AM
  "There is no need to glue it on, it's not going to go anyplace." WRONG!

After hearing a high-pitched scr*pping noise coming from the distributor in my '34, I removed the vacuum plunger/piston to find that the NOS leather pad was missing. I removed the drivers side cap and contact plate and found the leather laying in the bottom of the distributor. I glued a new NOS leather pad to the plunger/piston. Ken's got it right....

ken ct.    -- 11-02-2016 @ 9:58 AM
  Thanks MG , he thinks he knows everything.Some people don't like taking good advice. ken ct.

ford38v8    -- 11-02-2016 @ 11:15 AM
  No Ken, I don't know everything, had to go to the garage just now to confirm what MG said, and was surprised to find it possible that a leather could wind up in front of the breaker plate. What I do know is that I have never seen a pad glued on, a correct pad fits snug, and can be flipped over to a fresh side.

Alan

ken ct.    -- 11-02-2016 @ 1:38 PM
  Man you would have to be a real cheap person to try and flip the pad over,do you reuse tea bags over again too. lol ken ct.

ford38v8    -- 11-02-2016 @ 2:52 PM
  I might be cheap, but my wife tells me I'm not easy. Teabags? Now there's a subject for debate! You'd think there would be agreement, but no!

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10221