Topic: 1936 LB engine pushing out water

alanwoodieman    -- 10-30-2016 @ 1:35 PM
  we are resurrecting a long dormant 36 sedan. runs and stays cool sitting in the driveway, fast idle, slow idle does not matter. runs hot if you run for extended period down the road at 40 mph., new pumps, cleaned and check radiator. temp goes up and down with an after market gauge 180 to 230. running 3 lb pressure fitting on overflow still pushes out water. do I need thermostats or what?

pauls39coupe    -- 10-30-2016 @ 4:40 PM
  We have seen the same problem with several of the early engines and most of the time it comes down to a plugged radiator or worn out pump housings. If the cooling system was open at any time all sorts of vermin will find a home in there. Mud daubers, mice, and other critters love nice dark places to live, plus any rust and scale that was in the engine is now in the radiator tube blocking the flow. Flushing the system and having the radiator professionally cleaned will usually help. However if the core was replaced 50 years ago with the cheapest one available, it may lack proper capacity.
The water pump casting may have been rebuilt a hundred times over the years. Often there is enough clearance between the impeller and the housing to throw a cat through. Fryers makes a good new pump, and I understand Drakes and Carpenters have new units available.
Check your spark plugs, be sure they are not bright white, which would indicate a lean condition.

TomO    -- 10-31-2016 @ 7:26 AM
  If you did not have the radiator professionally cleaned, I would start there.

If you did have it cleaned, I would remove the water pump belt and the upper hoses and make sure that the coolant is visible in the outlet. Start the car and look for bubbles in the coolant. You should continue this until the engine reaches about 160 degrees. You should then increase the rpms up to about 1,500 while looking for the bubbles.

If you see bubbles on one side or both, it would be an indication of compression leak into the coolant. You will have to remove the heads to solve the problem.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10214